New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
tlbearer

Suikoden Ace (Recruiting)

I am recruiting for my project Suikoden Ace. It is here: http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/11334-suikoden-ace/ .

I am in need of a few people to help move the project forward and get this game out hopefully be the end of this year. If you choose to join me in this venture then know that you will be doing it for credit in the game only as this game is going to come out for free so I'm not planning on making any money off of it and there for can't afford to pay anyone for anything because I only have oe job and that job pays my living bills such as rent, water, power, etc.

Anyways if you are still interested here is the positions I need filled:

-Character Artist(s)

-Sprite Artist(s)

-Character Developer(s) (this is to help flesh out character skeletons I already have)

-Mapper(s) (I need more than just myself)

-Musician(s)

-Some who can come up with names for armor/weapons

-Enemy Artist(s)

I hope that some of you will be willing to join me in this venture and just letting you know the reason the game will be coming out for free is because it is a continuation of the Suikoden Series. Its ok if you have no knowledge of the series, info is easy enough to find on suikosource, and its even better if you do.

Mainly myself and my scripter, lucofthewind . So pretty much yes, I'm working by myself.

I took a peek at the features... "108 characters, each different in there own way".

My goodness. Are you counting NPCs as well, or characters that have significance to the plot? How long do you think the game will be, approximately? Sounds hard to get a game like that out in less than a year.

I haven't played Suikoden, but I'll have a look at it and see if I can do anything to help. :)

The 108 characters are not NPCs, they are people that are important to the storyline and some of them are reappearing from Suikoden 2 and 3. Jeane and Viki are two of the characters that are reappearing in my game. Some of the characters are shop owners that will operate the shops in your headquaters and such.

While I did love the original Suikoden games ( I only played 1-3) your game idea might be a bit ambitious. Not that it can't be achieved but the majority of people quit making games because of the huge task they've set-up for themselves. 

I'd suggest watching this video about Making games for beginners. It gives advice and tips about game making.

Also don't be discouraged if you can't find a team, most of us on GDU have a lot on our plates right now. I've written an article here about this very problem if you want to read it.

Good luck with your game, and if you do get it made don't forget to post it here so we can play. 

Your game idea might be a bit ambitious. Not that it can't be achieved but the majority of people quit making games because of the huge task they've set-up for themselves. 

Agreed. That seems a rather large game to start out with. While I'm not sure how good you're at with RMVX Ace since you're new, your engine level says "getting there". So I'm going to assume this is your first game project.

Are you counting NPCs as well, or characters that have significance to the plot? How long do you think the game will be, approximately? Sounds hard to get a game like that out in less than a year.

Kitsuki has a point. 108 characters is an extremely large number. Unless you're planning to split them into smaller groups and give them all time to be fleshed out (which will prove extremely difficult and would take hours to do if you were going that route), I doubt it'd be feasible. I've worked with large groups in games before, and I know people who have had up to 20 characters in their game's party. That game has +32 chapters.

Plenty of time for fleshing out, wouldn't you think? But nope--the developer's number one complaint was "I wish I had a smaller group so I could develop them more." 

You'd also need character graphics and sprites for--all of them? That's going to be a difficult task.

I would suggest, as I have to others starting with RPG Maker before, to experiment with making a smaller game on your own, with maximum effort. The benefits of doing that is that you can practice your skills and learn the engine efficiently without the constraints of time and a large team. You don't need all those people for a smaller game. Nice thing about it is, you can always post those smaller games on GDU and get feedback and help from other people on improving them. In no time, you'll be ready to take on a larger project.

And like dolarmak said, a lot of us are busy. But again, don't be discouraged. You'd be surprised what you can do with a very small team, or even on your own.

German just said what I wanted to say but better. It is best advised to work on something smaller. 108 characters is a lot...even if some are shop owners. That leaves like at least 90 more characters.

Not gonna say developing a huge game as your first game is a bad idea, But excluding loads of resources, You need lots of time and unlimited amount of motivation. Trust me, I have a huge project under development and it's so close to the end but if I could go back, I would choose a project that is a bit smaller...Just a bit.

For your request, I believe you don't really need "Sprite Artist(s)" and "Some who can come up with names for armor/weapons" since there r generators that do the same thing on internet, Using generators can fasten your work because u don't need to spend time searching for people who like to help .

Not gonna say developing a huge game as your first game is a bad idea, But excluding loads of resources, You need lots of time and unlimited amount of motivation. Trust me, I have a huge project under development and it's so close to the end but if I could go back, I would choose a project that is a bit smaller...Just a bit.

For your request, I believe you don't really need "Sprite Artist(s)" and "Some who can come up with names for armor/weapons" since there r generators that do the same thing on internet, Using generators can fasten your work because u don't need to spend time searching for people who like to help .

Further addressing this, I find motivation can be easier for a smaller project. There's much less to deal with, and you're infinitely closer to the finish line than you'd be in a huge game. Not to mention that for a game like you're currently making, there will be a lot of time and energy needed. Kitsuki and I have a large project as well, and I spend up to an hour working on a single map *cough* *that one church* + more than two hours working on our systems/eventing nowadays. That takes a lot out of you.

Zahraa brings up some good points. I would say that a spriter could be necessary depending on what you have, but you definitely don't need someone to come up with names for armour and weapons.

German just said what I wanted to say but better. It is best advised to work on something smaller. 108 characters is a lot...even if some are shop owners. That leaves like at least 90 more characters.

You'll have a bad time developing +90 characters.

Some detailed advice--start out with a small game, limit yourself to a certain number of people and maps. Ten or less for maps and four or less for the party was what I did when I started out. Put everything you've got into your maps--the ability to make a decent map is a must-have. Your maps look all right as they are now, if not a little stiff and symmetrical in places. Focus on fleshing out all the characters. A nice story would be a good plus as well. As time goes on, you can increase those numbers and practice with larger games. 

When I first started with RPG Maker, I spent a couple of months throwing myself into mapping and one more just for eventing. A lot has come out of it. It's helped me to plan and make better games as well. Without those few months of experimenting, Kitsuki's and my game would be a mess right now. If you take time to go through that learning process, you'll find a lot of neat tricks and methods that will save you time and trouble.

So much luck. Practice with small things and then start a big project--that's the way to go.

Thank you for all of your advice but sadly I can't think small and all of my game ideas are kinda big, which is sad. The reason I need a spriter is because I need someone to make dwarves and a race of dog-like people called Kobolds as they are both in the game. I also need 23 characters that are returning from 2 and 3 to be aged older for this game.

sadly I can't think small and all of my game ideas are kinda big, which is sad.

Never such a thing as "can't"! But if that's the problem, try just practicing. Don't make an actual game, just a small "visual experience". Like The Mirror Lied--you ever seen that game? It was experimental, and it's short and sweet.

I'm a writer, so my analogy is this--writing a short story and a novel. We all dream of writing novels, but rarely have I met someone who finished one. Most they could go in is five chapters. (And yes, that person described is possibly me.) But if you're capable of writing five chapters, then you're obviously capable of a short story!

I'm just going to theorise for a bit. No idea if this is true for anyone, but it certainly is for me... Thing is, no one here knows what you're capable of yet. Therefore, they don't know if you're going to be dead set on finishing this project. 

Not that it can't be achieved but the majority of people quit making games because of the huge task they've set-up for themselves. 

What dolarmak said here rings true for me. I started a large game for my first project, and it was so big that I had to ask several artists to participate. They did, and happily when they heard of the idea--but the problem is that the game was so big, I eventually couldn't keep up with it. And trust me when I said they were not happy. Among some of them were character artists who made art for up to 10 characters. And that work was wasted because I misjudged my own capabilities.

Spriting and making character graphics, as nice and simple as people sometimes think it is, is hard work. Have you ever tried making your own character graphics? I have--and it kills me. I was never able to come up with something I quite liked as much as other games. This applies to composing music, too. Ask Germany, he's a musician and even though he works hella hard, composing one piece can drain the life out of him. (Although it might just be because composing isn't his repertoire. :P But take it as an example.)

Long story short, work to understand the engine thoroughly! Post some things showing what you're able to do. Eventually people will have faith in your skills and capability and will know you can handle a big project. :) Then perhaps people will help more.

again i don't know if this applies for people here, but it does for me.

Also I'm trying to focus on making one game at a time as I have about 4 or 5 game ideas and I have decided to just focus on Suikoden Ace for now. It is actually the easier out of the rest of my game ideas, except pokemon, because the world, regilion, and most of the history is already set up. For all of my other game I have to come up with that stuff.

Also I'm trying to focus on making one game at a time as I have about 4 or 5 game ideas and I have decided to just focus on Suikoden Ace for now. It is actually the easier out of the rest of my game ideas, except pokemon, because the world, regilion, and most of the history is already set up. For all of my other game I have to come up with that stuff.

The pokemon game would be an easier one to do if you grab the Pokemon Essentials pack. It includes all the artwork for most games, all current pokemon and coding is done. You might want to make the main character art, but otherwise all you need to do is map making and eventing. Might be worth a look? 

The pokemon game would be an easier one to do if you grab the Pokemon Essentials pack. It includes all the artwork for most games, all current pokemon and coding is done. You might want to make the main character art, but otherwise all you need to do is map making and eventing. Might be worth a look? 

Actually its on a brand-new region, with all new gym leaders, an all new bad guy group, and 150 new pokemon.

Actually its on a brand-new region, with all new gym leaders, an all new bad guy group, and 150 new pokemon.

making the new regions and characters is easy, it's the new pokemon that's hard cause they all need animations and stat info. But if you stick to the orignal 721....god there are 721 pokemon?... put them in a new and exciting encounter rates and you have a great new game without a whole lot of new artwork or coding. 

just curious but why is it every pokemon fan i know making a game feels the need to add 150 pokemon for a game that already have WAY more than enough? 

making the new regions and characters is easy, it's the new pokemon that's hard cause they all need animations and stat info. But if you stick to the orignal 721....god there are 721 pokemon?... put them in a new and exciting encounter rates and you have a great new game without a whole lot of new artwork or coding. 

just curious but why is it every pokemon fan i know making a game feels the need to add 150 pokemon for a game that already have WAY more than enough? 

My game will not have pokemon from black and white or x and y, so you can minus those pokemon and you wont even be able to get the older pokemon until way later in the game.

Also demo will be out later this week, providing I don't screw anything up.

I downloaded the demo a while ago. Just need time to play it before I leave some sort of comment.

Alright, I can understand that.