New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
GermanyXItaly1000

Script Help - How to Edit This?

Question

So some months ago (possibly more than  a year?) my partner asked around on this forum and got a useful script. For a while, it sat in the corner untouched until now I've unearthed it and brought it back from the dead to use in our project.

Exciting stuff.

Here's a link to it, since I'm about to do a little bit of talking that could definitely use it as a reference: <link removed>

I looked at the script for a while. Found out how it worked. Turns out it replaces Scene_Status. I've been experimenting around with battles and parties lately--up until now, we haven't thought about that at all, because the player has always been the only one in the party... therefore the only one whose biography should be able to be viewed. No other characters, no complications.  But now that we're having battles, it's getting into those complications.

What happens is this. When I click into "Memories" (which calls Scene_Biography), the biography screen comes up. I can navigate it with the "Q" button, going through the characters' biographies in order. 

Only it goes backwards.

How do I fix this and make it go the other way around?

Edited by GermanyXItaly1000

5 answers to this question

Solved my own problem. Opened up a new project, put some scripts in and out to see if any of them were causing the problem, and found out that it was my Scene_Menu edits that somehow messed things up. I ended up making several copies of my project and endlessly copying code back and forth to recreate the menu so that I can view character bios by accessing the "MenuStatus" and selecting the actor of my choice before viewing the bio.

For some reason, my partner and I removed this function in the past, probably thinking we'd never need it. Never again will I make a mistake like that. To fix it, it took me near three hours, but finally it looks like things are working fine again--perhaps better than before.

Thanks for your help, Mage! Problem solved.

Q is for previous, and W is for next. They stand for Page Up and Page Down, I think. If you want you have it the other way around, you need to re-define what should happened when the Page Up is pressed, and when the Page Down is pressed. I'm sure you can find those command somewhere in the script editor. Copy the method and paste them to the appropriate place on the Biography script, and exchange both content for Page Up and Page Down method on the biography script (the one you just pasted.).

Edit :

Page Up and Page Down are triggered by L and R as input. Note that it's not L and R key in the keyboard, it's Q and W instead.

Edited by black mage

How is it that I can never figure out these things? Thanks, Mage, I'll check out the script again when I get back to the computer.

It was actually a mistake that led me to realise I could even navigate by Q. I was in the middle of typing up a support topic for a way to go from page to page when I accidentally pressed the key, checked my game, and saw that it was able to change pages. Amazing.

But there's still something that bothers me. It's how the biography started out with Paceci's (last) rather than Maebnus's... Any idea why?

Either it's the configuration, or you was on Paceci's item or skill or other individual related menu. I suspect that when you select memoir, it automaticaly calls the scene biography without selecting any actors first. The Biography Scene is suppossed to be the copy of status scene, which generate the content after getting some value by selecting an actors from the menu. And since there's no actors selected, I suspect it use the last actor's that's been recorded on the memory or it use some pre-determined value if there's no value given.

Either it's the configuration, or you was on Paceci's item or skill or other individual related menu. I suspect that when you select memoir, it automaticaly calls the scene biography without selecting any actors first. The Biography Scene is suppossed to be the copy of status scene, which generate the content after getting some value by selecting an actors from the menu. And since there's no actors selected, I suspect it use the last actor's that's been recorded on the memory or it use some pre-determined value if there's no value given.

I experimented around with that. Even if I go into a new game, the script seems to read from down and up. Funny enough, it seems to do that with my skills, too... Odd. I'll be looking for a way to fix this.

With a little work, managed to add some text onto the biography that tells the player to use Q and W to navigate, so that's one thing taken care of--even if it ends up coming out like that in the end, the player will know there are more characters to explore. I'll just have to fix the skills now, or at least find out what's causing it.

<Note, also deleting the screenshot and names from the first post.>