New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
GraveBusta

Where to begin?

I am thinking that maybe I should practice a bit but maybe not. I am not a pro so I seek advice from those who know what they are doing. Should I practice by working on a fanmade game (yeah I know this is a very sensitive style of game design the only legal ones I see thus far to be openly distributed is touhou which is not an issue for me I like the art style) or jump right into my own series with no experience possibly wrecking any potential for story and plot and making a bad game.

1. I do have help and this game is going to be an action rpg and he is helping me script game maker studio to make the RPG mechanics built in to it.

2. I have no intent to throw RMXP away when I do go for the main series I plan on making it on multiple genre so RMXP will be my 2D turn based and maker3D will be my 3D turn based.

This is all hard work and I do not expect it to be done over night.

Please should I do fanmade to gain experience or should I just skip into the main series?

Doesn't matter if it's fanmade or not. Make whatever you want, as long as you enjoy it. My advice is that you should make smaller games first, but do them to the very best of your abilities. This will help you to build up your experience in using RMXP and to learn to use all the tools efficiently and to the most extent.

I've been working on a fanmade project with my partner for two years. We first started out with RMXP wanting to make a fangame off an anime and an already existing RPG Maker game. After about four months, the project was abandoned when we discovered the creator didn't allow fangames, so that was that. But those four months taught me to utilise most of the commands in the basic system, and now we've moved on to our current two-years-old project. It's going decently, thanks to the experience we gathered. The only thing I regret is that we jumped into such a large project only after learning the basics.

My experience has been pretty rewarding, so I advise you start experimenting right away. Don't waste time, just go and see what you can do. From there, build on.

Again, small games and maximum effort. You'd be surprised what you can make with RMXP with a little practice.

Doesn't matter if it's fanmade or not. Make whatever you want, as long as you enjoy it. My advice is that you should make smaller games first, but do them to the very best of your abilities. This will help you to build up your experience in using RMXP and to learn to use all the tools efficiently and to the most extent.

I've been working on a fanmade project with my partner for two years. We first started out with RMXP wanting to make a fangame off an anime and an already existing RPG Maker game. After about four months, the project was abandoned when we discovered the creator didn't allow fangames, so that was that. But those four months taught me to utilise most of the commands in the basic system, and now we've moved on to our current two-years-old project. It's going decently, thanks to the experience we gathered. The only thing I regret is that we jumped into such a large project only after learning the basics.

My experience has been pretty rewarding, so I advise you start experimenting right away. Don't waste time, just go and see what you can do. From there, build on.

Again, small games and maximum effort. You'd be surprised what you can make with RMXP with a little practice.

You can make touhou fangames but there are guidelines that must be followed I can go get them if you want they made by the owner

You can make touhou fangames but there are guidelines that must be followed I can go get them if you want they made by the owner

Would be nice if we were making a Touhou fangame, but we've never even had interest in it. The one we were going to make was based off the RPG Maker game Ib. ;D

But nice advice, Germany! And good luck on whatever you want to make, GraveBusta.

Would be nice if we were making a Touhou fangame, but we've never even had interest in it. The one we were going to make was based off the RPG Maker game Ib. ;D

But nice advice, Germany! And good luck on whatever you want to make, GraveBusta.

learning the scripts isn't too hard but getting assets without being able to make your own is really hard to do especially with advanced scripts like xasabs the script itself requires a special sprite sheet that is hard to find, and there are no sprite makers for xasabs that I know of. TBH the creator of the script transforms RPG Maker into a whole new engine.I might be better off making my own scripts with a team member making the assets.

Personally i wouldn't recommend making a fan game . id go with making your own creation as with fan games people will expect a certain quality and style where if you make your own game they cant really complain . this being said you also would have more creative freedom then with a fan game .

Personally i wouldn't recommend making a fan game . id go with making your own creation as with fan games people will expect a certain quality and style where if you make your own game they cant really complain . this being said you also would have more creative freedom then with a fan game .

Fangames don't necessarily have to be based off of an existing game. My partner Germany and I are making a Hetalia-based game, and that's an anime. 

Either way, whatever you make, you get learning experience. And that learning experience comes in real handy later on. ;)

Personaly, I think what matters is you finish your game. It doesn't matter whether they're fangame, original or something. If it doesn't get to the hands of player, they losing their purpose as a game. Game are meant to be played, and I'll stop before I start giving some lecture about game. Anyway, despite all what I said, I'll recomend you to make an original content, as you'll gain more experience that way.

You're free to create whatever game you want, but make sure you finished what you've started.

Personaly, I think what matters is you finish your game. It doesn't matter whether they're fangame, original or something. If it doesn't get to the hands of player, they losing their purpose as a game. Game are meant to be played, and I'll stop before I start giving some lecture about game. Anyway, despite all what I said, I'll recomend you to make an original content, as you'll gain more experience that way.

You're free to create whatever game you want, but make sure you finished what you've started.

Golden words, Mage.

In any case, it should be finished and given your best efforts. A little bit of effort goes a long way, I have played fangames and original games that don't even so much consider a proper spellcheck. (Please, for the sake of humanity, make your game's text readable.)

Well, I have experience with both fangame and original game and if you want me to give you advise, I'd say go for the original game (Not your main series yet) When you're making a fan game, You have to add some standards that were in the original game directly to your fangame, So you have to "copy" some elements from the original game. And I recommend you to make an original game because that way, You must create those elements yourself instead of copying them, And trust me, You have to learn creating those elements (like character development) for your original series. If I were you, I'd make a small game which is about the game characters before the main story begins, You know, I mean like "part 0" for your series, I guess it's a good practice to earn exp. And as Mage said, Finish whatever you make :)

In my experience LOTS of people fail at making a good fan game and sometimes make the main game its self look bad. A very good example of this is Final Fantasy XP(Sorry bob you knew this was coming). Personally id say stick with an original game because you feel more into it because its yours and you dont have to worry about people bashing you if you dont do things right(will be the case 99% of the time). And if you do well enough you can get a cease and desist order since its actually illegal to use someones IP. Id stay away from fan territory. references are fine as long as they are not exact EX: I would have gotten sued if i used Amulet of Glory(from runescape) in Mine Clicker, instead i use Amulet of Flory to avoid getting sued(since my game is commercial).

But you wont have to worry about that if its going to be a free game, mostly what will happen is a cease and desist unless your really unlucky and get sued lol.

Your own original game will be far more creative anyways since its your own.

Sorry for my messy format, i kind of get like then when i ramble lol.

In my experience LOTS of people fail at making a good fan game and sometimes make the main game its self look bad. A very good example of this is Final Fantasy XP(Sorry bob you knew this was coming). Personally id say stick with an original game because you feel more into it because its yours and you dont have to worry about people bashing you if you dont do things right(will be the case 99% of the time). And if you do well enough you can get a cease and desist order since its actually illegal to use someones IP. Id stay away from fan territory. references are fine as long as they are not exact EX: I would have gotten sued if i used Amulet of Glory(from runescape) in Mine Clicker, instead i use Amulet of Flory to avoid getting sued(since my game is commercial).

But you wont have to worry about that if its going to be a free game, mostly what will happen is a cease and desist unless your really unlucky and get sued lol.

Your own original game will be far more creative anyways since its your own.

Sorry for my messy format, i kind of get like then when i ramble lol.

Touhou is doujin and the creator requires fangames to follow his guidelines, fan games are legal there but like you said the creator has the right at any point to tell you stop. Normally as long as you follow his guidelines he will not tell you to take it down but also if you make the game too good (not possible with a noob like me) He might have it taken down due to it taking too much attention from the main series if he chose to do so. 

The point of that ramble is sometimes it is legal and sometimes it isn't to make fangames. You just need to know what and who you are dealing with and what you are willing to risk. I however am not going to do anything yet til I learn Unity and as usual it is not going well trying to teach myself.

When I first started doing anything related to video game design, I started small, doing a few projects at a time, but each with their own features and mechanics, and none of which would ever really take off. I did this so I'd learn how to develop different aspects of a game (I have no team). Approaching it this way took time, as most things do, but by the time I was done, I figured out the in's and out's of making the kind of game i wanted to make, which resulted in my current project: The Secrets of Kankara

There isn't just one approach though, as long as you are enjoying yourself, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Of course, that doesn't mean go in full blast without at least a little experience, because experience will help you with making your game with minimal time expense (as opposed to making a project and not being able to figure out what's causing a simple bug that you might have otherwise found in a starter project that you use for learning).

In the end, I don't think any of us can really tell you how to start off, because there are so many different ways to do it, and it really does vary from person to person. But, my advice is to learn your engines first, since they're the backbone of any project.

I wish you luck in making your game. :)

I however am not going to do anything yet til I learn Unity and as usual it is not going well trying to teach myself.

I recently started to look into Unity myself, and no, it's a very complicated engine. The tutorials that I have found are largely non-specific and unhelpful as well, which makes it worse. It'll be a while before I can use Unity for my own projects, but once that time comes, hopefully I'll have made some small name for myself lol.