New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Games Section: tabs + layout tweaks

Hey guys

Tabs

This is a pretty big update the game section front-end. The biggest change, and one I've wanted to implement for a while, is doing away with the pages and implementing instead, tabs. Pages require the browser to move to another page and the system to load a whole new page, taking time and jumping the page to the very top. Tabs on the other hand show and hide different sections of content that is already loaded onto the page, so it requires zero loading time and is a huge boost to the usability of the games pages.

To see what I mean, use the nav on Cyber Drive's game page: http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/cyberdrive-ninja

Now you may be concerned that you now can't link to specific pages. Actually, you can. When you browse the nav, the URL will change without you noticing. These URLs are actually the same, and if you link to them, that specific tab will be open. For example, here's how I'd link to Cyber Drive's blog: http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/cyberdrive-ninja/blog This is the same page, just displaying the blog.

Layout tweaks

I've changed the sidebar design and moved the nav (for those who have pages) to be level with the sidebar. Shortly I'll introduce an option to choose whether the sidebar is on the left or right side.

26603757c2882f4197fe118be66701da.png

And I have removed the left-hand sidebar in the blog entry view to give more space to view blog entries:

72f3d0066a0823c682dcb858668204bc.png

As always, please report bugs!

not sure why this happened but look at the download's part on bottom left:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0u2spy80q1pb6m/Screenshot%202015-01-12%2007.35.56.png?dl=0

and the title fordate is unaligned.

Edited by FleshRenderStudios

Ahh you must be one of the few who has a 1024x768 resolution. I used to develop things specifically for that resolution, but then I realized that only 5% of our traffic actually use those sized screens, so instead I design for a minimum of 1280x1024, and everything above will be compatible, then go back and use media queries to alter the css for smaller sized screens. Which, as you've probably guessed, I haven't done so.

How did you get a windows 8 computer with a small screen?

Because I am a boss lol and can get win8 on pretty much anything lol :P

I dunno really though tbh lol it came on the laptop when I bought it 2nd hand lol :P

Highest Res on my laptop is 1280x800

additionally I have my laptop hooked up to my TV lol and that only support the lowest setting on my laptop which is ofcourse 1024x768 lol

Edited by FleshRenderStudios