New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Polraudio

Unity Pros, Cons and Facts.

From my experience with unity over the past 8 months ill list the pros and cons i have discovered.

Pros(No order):

-Editor Extensions!!!

-Easy to use once you get use to it

-Assets store for easily finding free and paid resources

-Can sell resources on the assets store easily

-Can sell a game made with the free version of unity

-Everything in the pro version can easily be made in the free version(you wont really need pro for anything unless your looking to make a big budget game)

-The free version isn't limited in terms of features and the only differences are features you wouldn't really use

-Nearly no tile limit, and unlimited layers

-Unlimited maps/scenes

-Documentation is well done and you have full access to it offline.

-Coding is really easy to get into and use to(Javascript is the easiest language to use and i highly suggest it)

-Animator

-LOTS of support

-A REAL game development engine

-Not limited to a certain FPS

-Will rarely run into limits

-Supports every standard audio, graphic, and model filetype

-Has sprite slicer so you can use sprites made in any format

-Physics/gravity built in so no need to code physics/gravity

-Can make a game for any platform unlike rpg maker where you are stuck with windows.

-Custom resolution and graphic settings

-Can make games and port it to web with no extra effort

-Can easily make an online game

Cons(No order):

-Takes a while to get use to everything

-No easy way to place tiles if working on a tile based game(you can use this cool tool to make maps)

-Have to code everything yourself except movement as that's included in the standard assets.

-No save system included but there's a very nice free one available

-Everything isnt handed to you on a sliver platter like rpg maker.

-1.25gb download(sucks for people with bad internet like me)

-Doesn't have modeling in the engine but why should it lol. I got a good voxel modeling program if you are interested. If you dont know what a voxel is its a 3d pixel. Its just like building in minecraft.

I could go on all day but these are the main features that make me happy to use unity. Not really many cons because theres not much that is bad. All the cons are a time thing. If you are not willing to spend at least a few hours into unity every day to learn it then its not for you. I spent usually around 4-8 hours a day on unity.

My far fav feature is the editor extensions. You can make your own ui and tools for for stuff. If you wanted you could actually code everything RPG Maker has and make rpg maker in unity its self. I haven't played with it myself but i seen some very awesome stuff.

A very interesting fact is that you have 999,997,000,002,999,999 cubed units to use per map/scene. You could actually have maps 1,999,998 x 1,999,998 if you were to set each object to be 1 pixel per unit. by default its 100 pixels per unit so if kept at default you should be able to get maps as big as 199,999,800 x 199,999,800. thats using 32x32 tiles thats not counting the height. with height you can expect to make at least 100 full games in 1 map/scene lol. Also combine that with unlimited layers and WOW!

If this was helpful in opening your eyes up to what unity has to offer let me know.

If anyone has any questions about what unity can and cannot do ill be glad to answer any questions.

Thanks for sharing Pol. I have a question about learning Unity, You said you've been learning it since 8 months ago, And you spent 4-8 hours a day to learn it. My question is that, Now are you expert enough to make a great 3D RPG? Though I bet it's going to take ages for me to learn it XD

He's not, but he's been working his butt off making two good games. 1 2D, 1 3D with a fixed camera. Neither are RPGs

I could if i really tried but id rather finish these games first. Graphics isnt my strongest point so to make a "great rpg" id be able to pull it off with shitty graphics lol. Id give myself a 7/10 for my skills in unity. Time is all it takes. Its not if it can be done, its how it can be done. Once you get into that coding mindset all the systems and stuff become easy to code.

The coding is the biggest thing you will need to learn. If you can think logically it will be really easy for you to learn. As long as you start with JS it will be really easy. In order for you to learn you need to be willing to learn. Dont think you can just pickup unity and learn everything in a week(in rpg maker you can learn everything in a day or two).

I think the biggest turnoff for unity is that there is so much to do. You have to make every graphic, every system, and building worlds is easy but so tedious for 3D where rpg maker just hands you all the stuff for you to play with.

Both my games are going to be commercial and if they sell well i plan on making a small studio for game dev. If you are willing to learn and can show that you are capable of working well in unity i may have a job for you if i make enough $ to hire people. I got lots of great ideas id love to come to life but dont have the manpower or artistic skills to make it come alive.

sorry for rambling on and on, im in a rambling mood lol

EDIT: Wow my posts are all over when i ramble lol.

I've been thinking a lot about Unity but I'm a bit hesitant because all assets need to be created from scratch, which takes time. I don't have that much time. :/ No wonder people hire teams for Unity projects.

Whoa! I just got my first job offer from a rambling person XD

but yeah making a great RPG in Unity without a team is almost impossible (and unprofessional) unless god has given you full 10-15 years to waste :P

Developing a game from scratch is real game developing imo, which needs advance knowledge. I don't mind working in a team if it's what it takes to develop a game the way I want. Though I'm a bit afraid of learning Js, I know some very basic things, But it's very hard when I want to make it work. Anyway thanks for sharing these points :)

Don't read the following text if u don't wanna waste your time, It's not related to the topic at all. It's kinda tweeting D:

omg watching a show from lana Del Ray atm I love her she's soooo cute I wish I was like her magical voice magical face magical art she's adorable loving everything about her so much ^^

I'm very tempted to try out Unity, but like Zahraa said. God apparently didn't think I was eligible for the "10-15 years to waste" list.

Granted, I'm still in school and the orchestra class alone seems to think we can handle the workload of an actually symphonic orchestra. Perhaps I'll have time in the future after I wash my hands of current projects. I'll hold it off until summer holidays come around, then I might check it out.

This is what I signed up for, never should have joined a school that's so insane about its music program

But this is a useful list. Thanks for making this, I was wondering about it for a while.

I would love to use Unity although current hardware limit's me in what I can do, If I can sellmy current RM projects and manage to get enough to upgrade my hardware I'm all for Unity.

I have about 8 game's I want to make in Unity purely because of the 3D aspect being so readily available.

I do know a little bit of JS as well but certainly not enough to develop anything mindblowing lol :p

You can do anything in JS with limited knowledge. It will look the same to the user either way. The only difference is behind the scenes and efficiency.

When i first started JS in unity my script for 1 thing would be like 1000 lines, now its about 100 and does the exact same thing. The user sees no difference on their end. JS is very easy to learn once you start using it. The main thing you will be using is and if statement.

if(Apples >= 2){

print("You have enough apples");

}else{

print("Not enough apples");

}

if(Apples >= 2 && Pears >= 4 && Oranges >= 1){

print("You have enough fruit");

}

For beginning thats about as complex as it gets. Its all about logically thinking and using the unity documentation to see what code does what. Its the same thing as doing events except you have to type it out instead of just clicking on what you want to do.

If this happens, what happens? is what you will be asking yourself alot when coding.

I made some complex scripts in my time. I once made an inventory script that was a grid. When you collect items they get put in your inventory in the order they are collected. You can also right click on the items to drop them on the ground then you can pick them back up if you wanted.

Coding is one of those things thats really easy once you get started. People are just to scared to try it because they think it will be hard. With an attitude like that it will be hard :P. Coding is no different than learning how to use the event system in rpg maker.

If you ever want to get into JS coding with unity just post a script you have somewhere and ill try to help you out with learning how to make it more efficient and get you better at coding.

Thanks Pol :) that code you posted was exactly how I learned to do minor code in JS lol but I had some help in the form of www.codecademy.com which I believe actually cater's JS around making a small game such as rock, paper, scissors and a Mini RPG  of sorts thats asks the user to input some details, then ask's a number of question to determine you str, int etc. and determines from thoseanswers whether or not you kill the dragon :P it's all done in screen popup's though rather than intergrated into the web page, That probably teach that part later lol.

Learn to Code in numerous languages here:-

http://www.codecademy.com

Edited by FleshRenderStudios

LOL that site is exactly where I leaned about Js a bit :P Thanks to my friend Tigurus for telling me about it.