New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Izyees Fariz

New generation of RPG Maker ?

Did Enterbrain ever told you that they will release a new generation of RPG Maker?

I'm bored with RPG Maker Vx Ace...

By the way what language did rpg maker vx ace made with?

I make a 2D game engine from VB.Net and C# but the problem is it's full of bug.

I can only make game instead of Game Engine...

If my project is finished, I will named it RPG Maker Ice.  :grin: Agree?

Not that I've heard. From what I know, each RPG Maker is released three years apart from each other (at least the major ones). RPG Maker VX Ace, I think, took a year longer. I look at the RPG Maker blog from time to time, I haven't seen any info regarding new RPG Makers. 

And that's quite a project to be working on. Good luck with it.

There are rumours about RPG Maker X or XR or RX or whatever the new name might be. However there's still no confirmation yet. The latest news is that they want to bring RPG Maker 2000 to english by running a petition (this is years ago, I think they give up), and a way to port RPG Maker games into android or iOs and such.

The latter one is still in development. I think we can see it happened this year.

And to answer your question about what language did rpg maker vx ace made with, it's written in Ruby.

Good luck with your RPG Maker Ice. :)

Only name it RPG Maker Ice if you are going to give it out for free. If you are going to sell it you may have legal issues. I know i say this alot and people might be getting sick of it but... IMO if you really want to try your hand at real game dev try unity. You can make your own editor extensions for unity to expand the actual game editor however you like. You could even make a full on RPG Maker clone if done correctly(would take LOTS of work).

Even knowing im completely done even touching RPG Maker id love to see and try a new one when it comes.

... Just reading your post makes me want to try out Unity, Pol. I considered it a long while ago, but I was never really certain about it, since I heard some people say that it can be very time consuming to make a full game in it.

That said, if I ever finish my current projects in RMXP, I'll dabble around in it a little more and then leave it at that. I don't think I'd move on to another RPG Maker; Ace wasn't to my liking. 

Even then... I'm kind of curious about the engine you're trying to make, though, Izy. What features would you plan on implementing?

I am actually quite impressed with VX Ace, and have been since its release. The map editor is probably the most lackluster thing about it, and perhaps a transition to 3D or porting to consoles would be a wonderful feature that none of them have had. The map editor means nothing to me for my current game anywway.

If there is going to be a new RPG Maker within the next three years, I hope it is a considerable IMPROVEMENT over VX Ace, rather than taking baby steps upward like Enterbrain did from VX ==> VXA.  (XP to VX was actually... kind of a downgrade)

If there is going to be a new RPG Maker within the next three years, I hope it is a considerable IMPROVEMENT over VX Ace, rather than taking baby steps upward like Enterbrain did from VX ==> VXA.  (XP to VX was actually... kind of a downgrade)

I feel the same way. I'm curious to see a new RM although I'll still stick to VX until I finish my current game.

from mack to chibi ? Nah... It's cute  :excited:

I like chibi, too. :D They are pretty...cute. lol

And to answer your question about what language did rpg maker vx ace made with, it's written in Ruby.

Are you sure about that? Surely RPG Maker projects contain a Ruby interpreter to read the scripts, but the underlying code is contained in a DLL file and I doubt you can actually generate DLLs from Ruby (or that it's relevant to do so in the first place). I'd rather say that the DLL is a C++ or maybe C# extension which defines new Ruby classes and methods but I would be really surprised if it was pure Ruby. As for the maker itself it *might* be written in Ruby but if they could program in C++/C# in the first place it's unlikely they used Ruby for that.

Are you sure about that? Surely RPG Maker projects contain a Ruby interpreter to read the scripts, but the underlying code is contained in a DLL file and I doubt you can actually generate DLLs from Ruby (or that it's relevant to do so in the first place). I'd rather say that the DLL is a C++ or maybe C# extension which defines new Ruby classes and methods but I would be really surprised if it was pure Ruby. As for the maker itself it *might* be written in Ruby but if they could program in C++/C# in the first place it's unlikely they used Ruby for that.

It's true that the maker might be programmed in C or it's family. However, if they're using C for the program that they made, why bother to implement another language as the editor? Perhaps it's for convenience, but I think it'd easier to write directly on Ruby (also to avoid conflict with C) and use it as the editor. Also, I'm not seeing problem for them to write the maker (and the DLL) directly on ruby. Am I thinking wrong in somewhere?

However, It's true that RPG Maker use some of windows DLLs to enable the game it made to be able to run in windows.

Edited by black mage

I like chibi, too. :D They are pretty...cute. lol

but I hate the map layer system, the window size, menu and i cannot add more tilesets.

I hope the next generation is in HD because i'm using Fullscreen++ script.

but I hate the map layer system, the window size, menu and i cannot add more tilesets.

This. I despise VX just for this reason.

VXAce with XP mapping would be perfect.

Edited by black mage

It's true that the maker might be programmed in C or it's family. However, if they're using C for the program that they made, why bother to implement another language as the editor? Perhaps it's for convenience, but I think it'd easier to write directly on Ruby (also to avoid conflict with C) and use it as the editor. Also, I'm not seeing problem for them to write the maker (and the DLL) directly on ruby. Am I thinking wrong in somewhere?

However, It's true that RPG Maker use some of windows DLLs to enable the game it made to be able to run in windows.

Well because Ruby is more novice-friendly (which RM deifinitely is) and also Japanese (which RM is, also). Why use C++/C# rather than Ruby to program the core engine? Well, simply because it's way faster - or at least it should be. Then again RGSS's core had incredibly poor performances but I believe it's just because of poor programming, since I was able to replicate the same graphics functions in pure Ruby 10x faster - so that doesn't tell us anything about the language they used in the first place. Also, the use of C++/C# to write the core DLL would explain why the core classes don't have their code listed in the help file while others do - because they have no *Ruby* code. Anyways I guess there's no way to know for sure, it has just always seemed obvious to me that it was written in C++/C# but I might very well be wrong.

This. I despise VX just for this reason.

VXAce with XP mapping would be perfect.

This right here. My feelings exactly--one of the reasons why I've stuck to RMXP all this time. Someone gave me a VX Ace key so we could work together on a VX Ace project, but I find myself using it sparely for my own purposes.

RMXP has more resources, anyway. Most of the things you could do in Ace, you can probably find a substitute for XP from all the scripts floating around out there.

Edited by GermanyXItaly1000

I know you can edit the core engine and graphics in the engine in visual studio (which is C++/C# etc.) but other than that I'm not too sure about the actual engine, Due to the lack ofconsideration in their own scripting I would say the engine is built on C++ because otherwise the engine itselfwould perform a hell of alotworse if it was pure ruby considering there in-engine coding skills.

Then again RGSS's core had incredibly poor performances but I believe it's just because of poor programming, since I was able to replicate the same graphics functions in pure Ruby 10x faster - so that doesn't tell us anything about the language they used in the first place.

I think there's something really wrong when pure ruby is doing the same thing 10x faster than C code.

Do you have that code somewhere?

I think there's something really wrong when pure ruby is doing the same thing 10x faster than C code.

Do you have that code somewhere?

My thought exactly... Well, yes, it's SOMEWHERE... Here's my old blog post on the matter. I might send the code to you if you're interested but it all depends on a quite specific installation of Ruby and it's still experimental so no guarantee it works on your part.

My thought exactly... Well, yes, it's SOMEWHERE... Here's my old blog post on the matter. I might send the code to you if you're interested but it all depends on a quite specific installation of Ruby and it's still experimental so no guarantee it works on your part.

Oh, openRGSS. Someone sent that to me before I didn't know it was yours lol

It's this one right? http://openrgss.org/

Oh, openRGSS. Someone sent that to me before I didn't know it was yours lol

It's this one right? http://openrgss.org/

Absolutely not. :p I'm not the first to think about it, guess someone just beat me to it. Too bad the site doesn't mention how advanced the project is. I'll make sure to give it a try in the following days.

Enterbrain dropped the ball with VX ACE. They were doing a good job at the start by releasing new resource packs at good pieces. Unfortunately, they stopped making resource packs within the first year. It was a missed opportunity to sale content to the market because developers are always looking for new resources.   

RM needs a lot more resources from EB preferably, I mean the community is awesome as well but more content from EB would be VERY nice. Also support to add different coding languages would be amazing albeit very dificult to implement.

Enterbrain dropped the ball with VX ACE. They were doing a good job at the start by releasing new resource packs at good pieces. Unfortunately, they stopped making resource packs within the first year. It was a missed opportunity to sale content to the market because developers are always looking for new resources.   

... How did they miss a sales opportunity like that?

I would have switched to RMVX Ace if there were more resources, but since they don't, I stuck to my RMXP. I have a copy of Ace that someone gave me a key to, and I've experimented with it--nevertheless, the charm that XP has for me can't be won over by mere upgrades like that of Ace's.

Got to have some good stuff to map with. (Even if the mapping system bothers me as it is.)

Still think that RPG Maker 2 for PS2 would kick ass on pc!

When i was on the main RM forums last year i saw users and an admin talking about the next RPG Maker being a table top game engine . i think it was going to be called rpg maker TT ? i could be wrong its been awhile since i have seen anything on it all i remember is them saying table top engine so. 

I ended up finding the topic in hand :http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/30477-rpg-maker-dc/

Also googleing RPG Maker DC and then clicking the product name just redirects to the main shop .  

Edited by blademan729

Well well, RPG maker they just said that the reason they do not have 3D is because they do not want it. You know that could stir up alot of speculation like whether or not RPG maker is limited on purpose to control the amount of developers and competition. I wonder what kind of business they are running and what dirty secrets they been hiding? I am not gonna assume anything myself but I can empathize that many feel that you can't trust engine makers,especially when both them and their staff try to develop games of their own routinely. I myself will just have to hear an explanation from an official before I lose respect, for all I know it could be deeper then conspiracy and more of a way to defend it's community all together.

Edited by GraveBusta

Well well, RPG maker they just said that the reason they do not have 3D is because they do not want it. You know that could stir up alot of speculation like whether or not RPG maker is limited on purpose to control the amount of developers and competition.

Nah, this is just good business. They've got a niche market and any sort of deviation from the software they've got now is a dangerous move. No one would use any 3D engine that they'd try to make, coz there's so many good 3D ones. If people want it because RPG Maker is simple... then you're either get something that actually requires skill and talent, OR something that looks like every other game made on the engine unless you actually put in a bunch of effort. 3D RPG game dev would be more complicated to being with.

Any manipulation of the market is fine, it's up to competitors to come in and force quality software.

Well well, RPG maker they just said that the reason they do not have 3D is because they do not want it. You know that could stir up alot of speculation like whether or not RPG maker is limited on purpose to control the amount of developers and competition. I wonder what kind of business they are running and what dirty secrets they been hiding? I am not gonna assume anything myself but I can empathize that many feel that you can't trust engine makers,especially when both them and their staff try to develop games of their own routinely. I myself will just have to hear an explanation from an official before I lose respect, for all I know it could be deeper then conspiracy and more of a way to defend it's community all together.

Dude, people have hated Enterbrain ever since they started putting out English content. Enterbrain is garbage. But what's this you say about their staff?

Nah, this is just good business. They've got a niche market and any sort of deviation from the software they've got now is a dangerous move. No one would use any 3D engine that they'd try to make, coz there's so many good 3D ones. If people want it because RPG Maker is simple... then you're either get something that actually requires skill and talent, OR something that looks like every other game made on the engine unless you actually put in a bunch of effort. 3D RPG game dev would be more complicated to being with.

Any manipulation of the market is fine, it's up to competitors to come in and force quality software.

Dude, people have hated Enterbrain ever since they started putting out English content. Enterbrain is garbage. But what's this you say about their staff?

I am not saying anything about their staff I was trying to guess why people would not trust them and the fact competition and games was all I can think of it's not facts just wondering what's going on.