New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
FranklinX

What is a fair price for custom graphics?

I'm planning to hire someone or individuals to create custom graphics for my game. I don't want my project to just have RTP's graphics. It should standout as its own title. What would be a fair price for one or more characters? 

I haven't paid artists for graphics before, but I know someone who does. I can give you an approximation what they're currently paying.

For the artist who does character graphics: I don't know if you want busts or facesets, but the maker of this game is using facesets. They have about 10 MCs and some side charactesr. For each character's package of facesets (includes 5-8 expressions), they pay $20. About four dollars or less for one expression. Considering that the artist is redoing all the facesets right now thanks to two years of improvement, upgrades free of charge, that's pretty cheap. 

For the artist who does "screenshots": They're pretty good quality. I can say with certainty that the person who draws the screencaps certainly utilizes a paint program like Paint Tool SAI well. Good lighting, shading, etc. Anatomy is fantastic, a more "advanced" anime style.

Not this type of anime: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ovZSOxWwh2c/0.jpg

I'm talking this type of anime: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/337/5/c/2_3_by_fischkraut-d5my09i.jpg (Best example of shading and colouring I could find. They do complete, detailed backgrounds for these if necessary, and multiple characters--most I've seen is up to five characters in one screenshot.)

This artist gets paid $150 for the entire bundle of screenshots. There's no predetermined number, as far as I know, but I'm thinking (averaged) 1 in each chapter. There's 32 chapters in the game last I heard. Less than five dollars a screenshot--again, considering the quality, that's a great price. I should mention that this artist is also doing the main battler graphics that include characters used in screenshots. That way the screenshots match up with certain characters.

I know there's an artist who's doing the remaining battler graphics and whatever other miscellaneous items there might be in the game, but I haven't heard anything about their prices. (They're a close friend of the maker, so they might or might not be doing it free of charge.)

Last I talked with the maker, the overall price of the art for that project is $350 dollars.

Surf around on deviantART and pitch your idea to the artists there. There's a lot of quality work presented by fantastic artists there. Some charge a lot, some charge less.

Let me talk about projects that don't pay their artists for one reason or another. (Currently, this is my team's project.) This doesn't pertain to your game, but humour me. A couple years ago, I discussed my fangame with friends on deviantART. Since we were close and shared interests the ones I talked to wanted to help out for free. We showed the idea to some other avid fans we weren't close to, and since we presented a complete plot and some interesting character designs, most of them were glad to contribute to the project. Good quality and all, free of charge. You probably wouldn't get this with other fandoms, but the project we're doing is based off an anime that has a unique and expansive fanbase. Very nice people, and with tons of talent.

Now, about that--never underestimate the stress of rl. A lot of the people who wanted to contribute were/are in high school or university. Their time is strictly limited. We've had about three artists drop out for various reasons. Several users deactivated their accounts without letting us know. This is fine by us; the artists and musicians involved with our team are aware that they're not  being paid. It's out duty to make sure they know this. Because we're a nonprofit, non-paying project, it's our responsibility to give and fully inform them of their right to drop out anytime they want and/or get work done on their own time. 

Meaning it'll most likely take ages longer than a paid project.

But let me stress: by paying your artists, you don't necessarily secure their roles. The maker of the paying project I was talking about had a screenshot artist that dropped out after a while due to rl restrictions. They still took some portion of their pay, since they did their job and did it well. (The new artist still had to redo the screenshots to match with their style, though.) But like I said, paying doesn't guarantee you'll have absolutely no problems in the long run.

What you do guarantee is more dedication, efficiency, and professionalism.

Edited by GermanyXItaly1000