New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Metaclaw

old RPG Maker XP install file

hi GDU, it's been a while ^^

I'm here because I need help.

does anyone still have an old install file for RMXP?

I recently had to re-install my RPG Maker XP, and sadly, there's a bug with the new version in windows 8, which makes the 'transparent' color always red.

it's hard to see tiles/ charcaters with such dark background color, and I was told this can't be fixed.

so I'm hoping someone kept the old version. I can't be the only one who downloads install files, and forgets to erase them.. right?

You mean the old one where you had to input your serial number? That's the version that I bought quite some time ago. I might still have the file around somewhere, if that's what you're looking for. But it does require your serial number. If you don't have that, then I'm afraid that you're at an impasse.

I haven't seen the new version on my Windows 8, seeing as I've had my older version for about forever, but that sounds incredibly inconvenient. I'm tempted to download the official maker for Windows 8 just to see how it runs...

Well, there you go, Pol gives the best answer as always. But if it's a driver issue, then who told you it can't be fixed, Metaclaw? It's not the word of the people from the RPG Maker staff, right? (If there's something like that. .-. )

XP is not supported on 64 bit OS. However, I've heard that version 1.05 had bug fix etc to make it more compatible on vista and newer OS, but it is for Japanese version. Haven't heard the english version yet, or perhaps it's already there and I just don't know.

XP is not supported on 64 bit OS

I'm lucky then, my XP looks like it's running fine on 64-bit system, Windows 8.

I did find this quote on a Steam thread: "This new version should work on 64 bit systems. The offline version should have a new DRM and publisher that improved RMXP's compatibility. The old one was distributed by Protexis, the new publisher is Degica."

Link to the thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/235900/discussions/2/630800446045928412/?insideModal=1. It was posted January 1 of 2014.

But Metaclaw said she has the "new version," which is what she's running on Windows 8. I'm assuming that's the one that's causing problems?

But the only thing I can say is... "When in doubt, re-install."

re-install & reboot. works 99% of time :p

I heard it can't be fixed in other forums, where other people had this problem and asked for help. it seems like windows can't correctly read the custom 'transparent' background color, and I'm pretty sure the old version didn't have a custom bg color feature. so it should work normally.

thanks pol, I'll try the old version first, then try to re-install the new.

worst case, I'll have to get used to the red color..

my drivers are up to date. I tried version 1.04 and it doesn't work at all. as soon as I opened RMXP it crashed. the next one, version 1.05 is the new one with the red background. I just re-installed it, and the problem isn't fixed. 

it's weird, I had RMXP installed on windows 8 on a different PC, and it worked just fine.

the red background isn't so bad, but since RMXP doesn't work properly, I'm afraid to open my game project.. won't it get glitched?

I couldn't find any info on this bug, except that one forum post that said it can't be fixed. I hope there aren't more related bugs waiting to be discovered x.x

Edited by Metaclaw

That sounds pretty terrible... you can try to make a copy of your game folder and then open to copy to see if anything bad happens.

I'll surf around for some new information, but I'm not sure if I can find anything

Your game should be fine. Just sounds like a GUI Render error. Have you tried running the program with windows 7 compatibility and as admin?

no, cause other people got the same problem in windows 7, and the original poster said he tried running rmxp as admin. I tried cleaning the registery, installing stuff like Flash and javascript, and even formatting my D drive which wasn't formatted yet, in case it's somehow related.

that didn't help, so I made a new project & tested everything I could think of. I haven't found any other bugs, thankfully.

so.. it's time to go back to work on my game. I'll just keep backups of it.

btw, my game did glitch once and couldn't be opened. I know I fixed it, but I don't remember how. I think I copied the scripts file, map files, and the graphics folder into a new project.

Edited by Metaclaw

Wait, so it happens in Windows 7 too?

I don't think Flash and Javascript were related to something like that. My RPG Maker XP has never given me any such problem, so I'm going to download and try out the new version and see if anything happens on my Windows 8. If that doesn't give me anything, I'll go back to forum searching.

EDIT: I downloaded what I think is the official version from the RPG Maker website. Guess what happened--I opened it and had a bright blue as the background. Messing around with the custom transparency options did nothing for me, except it changed the colour of the area outside my map to the colour. But not in the column where the tileset was. It remained bright blue the whole time.

When I restarted RMXP after saving the custom transparency setting, the colour turned from bright blue to dark blue. I ran it as admin, made sure all my graphics drivers were updated, and re-installed. Got me nowhere. Every time I open it, it's all different shades of blue.

Uninstalled the new version and ran my old version, the one that still took serial numbers. It ran perfectly, white transparent background.

I did the same with the version in Pol's link after uninstalling the newest version. It told me I had an outdated version of RPG Maker RTP (so my version is older), but after installing the new RTP I found that Pol's version worked perfectly. White transparent background.

Only the new one is giving me problems. So I would try completely uninstalling that one first and then trying the older one again.

Edited by GermanyXItaly1000

so you're using version 1.04 now, on windows 8?

last I tried 1.04 wouldn't even open for me, but I'll try again

Sure. It requires a serial number to activate, though. This thing was bought ages ago... It might be lacking in a lot of newer features, like that transparency option.

PMed you with a link to my version. I don't think it's the original files, but this is what I found lying around on my desktop.