New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Some1

Making items unusable on a certain class/character

Question

I'm talking about items from the "Items" category in the database. Potions, stat-increasing items, etc. There's a certain character in the game I'm making, who fights with the party on very few occasions throughout the game, and he's overpowered as hell. Since he comes and goes, and he's very powerful, I don't want items to be used on him. I especially don't want the player to waste rare permanent-stat-increasing items on him, because it's useless.

I was looking around in the database, but found no option of disallowing items from certain classes/characters. Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

The only thing I can think of is to not add him to the party at all. There's a few columns in the items and actor database tabs that I've never really used. Those might be the answers, but at the moment I'm traveling and unable to use RMXP. When I come back tomorrow, I'll have a poke around and see what I can find.

One thing I do know is that if you don't want him to have different/better armor and equipment, you can fix his equipment. But that's not related to items. Again, I'll check the database tomorrow when I return.

From what I can recall about the layout of the item tab in the database, I can't see any way you could limit the item to a certain person. I think Mage is right. Script is probably the way to go for this.

this little script will make it impossible to use items on your character.

replace the 5 below with your charcater's number in the database.

class Game_Actor

def item_effect(item)

if self.id == 5

$game_system.se_play($data_system.buzzer_se)

return false

end

return super(item)

end

end

this little script will make it impossible to use items on your character.
replace the 5 below with your charcater's number in the database.

class Game_Actor

def item_effect(item)
    if self.id == 5
      $game_system.se_play($data_system.buzzer_se)
      return false
    end
    return super(item)
  end

end

Perfect!

Thanks very much, everyone! :)