New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Jaden

Retro VS Modern (Gaming)

RETRO VS MODERN

THROWDOWN

Time for a throwdown, guys and gals. The topic is: Which do you prefer? Retro games, or more modern games?

First, I want to classify what makes a retro/modern game (for the topic).

Retro: For the sake of the topic, we'll say retro is pre-gamecube (tough decision, but honestly gamecube is so far beyond n64 it's not even funny). This includes atari, NES, SNES, Gameboy (all variations, I'll even throw GBA in there since it's all 2d), all sega systems, and pretty much all systems that came out before 2001.

Modern: Pretty much everything that came out after 2001, it's not old enough to be considered retro yet, but give it a few years, it will be lol.

=================================================================

Having grown up in an era of gaming that I've come to call the "Golden Age of Gaming", I've always appreciated older games. I grew up seeing the rise of the NES, and gameboy afterward, as well as the birth of such epic games that still, to this day, are just as good now as they ever were, such as "The Legend of Zelda" and "Metroid". Personally, I will always prefer older retro games over the more modern ones, though I do enjoy playing titles such as "Metroid: Other M", a title, that while wasn't received well, was the very embodiment of what metroid had been until metroid prime's first person perspective permeated the gaming world, and stole the hearts of FPS gamers everywhere. I didn't like the first person perspective aspects of "Other M", but everything else was a huge nod to those of us who had been waiting for such a metroid, since the release of "Super Metroid" back in the 90's. My only hope is that they continue using "Other M" as a template for future metroid games (minus the FPS missiles, use a button).

I also enjoyed "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword". While highly skeptical at first, given how bad the normal motion controls for the wii are, I first tried this game when a friend of mine wanted me to help him with it (I have a knack for being able to beat a game, without having ever played it previously), and I found that the wii motion plus complemented the game perfectly. I later bought it myself.

But again, I prefer the older games best, having grown up with them, before the time of internet, when your only guide was trial and error.

What do you all think?

I also prefer retro games. It's not all about the graphics, its about the gameplay and story. Retro games are so much fun because the playstyle and basic stories are very good. I feel like a lot of modern games have very bad stories, and I often lost because of the poor writing. I have enjoyed many modern games like MegaMan X7 which isn't very popular, but hey I love the game! My favorite modern games are Final Fantasy 12 and MegaMan X Command Mission.