New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
David Johnston

72 Hour Game Jam Contest?

72hr game contest.   

14 members have voted

1. 1. 72hr game contest. Keen?

• Yes
    • No

Hello guys! I thought this could be a great little contest to see who really is skillful. If you dont know what a game jam is, its a contest that your given a short amount of time, 72 hours in this case. Now I dont think im going to be the one hosting it but an admin or something should! Because Im guessing it would be more organized that way. And no I didnt get this idea from Pewdiepie, I thought it would be cool after watching an episode of VGHS. So maybe we can put this into play if anyone is up to it.
We should be making the games on RPG maker. 

Im on the fence with this one. RPG Maker, no thankyou(im done with rpg maker completely). Unity, Yes i would.

Depending on the date and what program i can use i might be interested.

Im on the fence with this one. RPG Maker, no thankyou(im done with rpg maker completely). Unity, Yes i would.

Depending on the date and what program i can use i might be interested.

Well, I mean we can adjust what your alowed to make a game with, RPG maker could be fast then unity, Remember you cant use any previous projects when starting the time. So unity, I think would keep you up for hours. But really i guess any engine would be fine? Depends on how many people want to use the engine. 

I'm not sure if we'll get enough participants, so I attached a poll to the topic. If we get say 5 (assuming a few will drop out) then maybe we can get something rolling.

Hey man thanks! Marked if your so kind you should host this thing! I'm just very interested to see what this community can make! I will participate BUT, there are just so many things im thinking about with rpg maker that confuses me (I could probably ask 20 questions or more just regarding the program.). I know my engine level says good but Im not GREAT with it but I have a good understanding? But also when it comes to making the game, loopholes can confuse me! Itd be great if you could host/judge 

Well 6 people indicated that would participate, but Pol wants Unity. Which is fair enough but going by the 3 very nice submissions we had last time, the judging could get awkward. Ideally the games need to be comparable. The trouble with last time is that we had someone make a rather large (relatively) game with gameplay, story, etc. An actual game. And another who made what was mostly a cutscene and a battle, which looked greated and ran told a story. The latter won but the games weren't exactly comparable and judging was far too subjective. Same thing would happy with RPG Maker plus Unity. The amount of effort it takes to create something in Unity takes much less time in RPG Maker. So if we do set it up, we put in some subtle constraints to push each game in the same sort of direction in terms of what is expected.

I feel Game Jam's are most effective when you provide the mould and tell them what to build from it.

You can say; only 5 maps allowed, the theme is horror, medieval fantasy, dystopian future, etc.
Must be longer than 30 minutes, but no longer than an hour and a half.
This could help limit the issues Marked described whilst still giving creators freedom in presentation.

Judging should be scored in different areas, Music, Gameplay, Story, Sex Scenes, etc. and tallied up FTW.

It would be difficult balancing limitations with multiple engines which is why I feel like it should be exclusive to one, in which case I suggest majority rules.

I also vote that this should start on a Friday and end on Sunday. HEY, TOMORROW IS FRIDAY LOOKIE THERE!

I agree, we should limit this contest to 1 program, Id suggest RPG Maker XP/ace. (I dont have ace but I know some people dont have XP) Also maybe we should wait until next friday, not this one. I say this because I think not everyone thats participating are going to see it in time and they might not know what theyre even going to do yet, like they dont know the rules. Marked, if i may suggest. You should get a list of rules and etc. And Im thinking it should be judged on exactly what Arkbennett said. Well I dont think any of the games will have sex scenes (If you live at your parents house, what will they think if they see that? lol) Then after we get everything set we can make a new post saying everything and you can tag the participating people in it. Arkbennet

Well I dont think any of the games will have sex scenes (If you live at your parents house, what will they think if they see that? lol)

Well.. Ha, ha... You know, just in case. :youcandoit:

Wise words Arky. I think we have to rule out Unity based on the rules/guidelines for the games. Unless Pol can make several playable maps in 72 hours.

I think for the engine that XP through to Ace will not cause any problems because they're quite similar and one shouldn't provide any major advantage over the other in 72 hours. I certainly do not want restrict it to XP only. Ace is more popular than XP these days. Also, any of the engines can be easily downloaded. Ace is rather overpriced.

Wise words Arky. I think we have to rule out Unity based on the rules/guidelines for the games. Unless Pol can make several playable maps in 72 hours.

I think for the engine that XP through to Ace will not cause any problems because they're quite similar and one shouldn't provide any major advantage over the other in 72 hours. I certainly do not want restrict it to XP only. Ace is more popular than XP these days. Also, any of the engines can be easily downloaded. Ace is rather overpriced.

We have to make a date of when to set this thing. It seems we'll have enough people

Friday, December 5th, 2014.

Awesome! Is this an official date? I have a speech&debate tournament that day, but if I can I'll definitely bring my laptop along and try to work on a game as I go.

If this is official, it might be nice to post to the front page along with all the rules, the date, etc. There might be more people interested in something like this. Always good to get news out there, after all.

Ohhhh marked, I wonder if ill even finish when its over? Probably not but yolo. Should we decide on a genre for the games we make for this contest? because tbh, ill probably do horror since i finally got moonpearls daily life thing installed.

I haven't seen any update on this topic... I assume the assigned starting date is still today, Friday, 5 December?

In any case, I'm going to hold off on starting anything. Maybe it hasn't yet turned 5 December in other time zones. D:

Perhaps there should be a specific time assigned for the beginning and end of the game jam, for a specified time zone. That way everyone can be on the same page. :D

I don't think we'll run it this weekend, i haven't had a chance to organize it... im currently on holiday near the equator. We need a time thay suits as many ppl as possible. How does next week friday to sun suit??

Good luck on your tournament, Germany. :)

Nothing comes up on my schedule for next fri to sun.

I know that there's two works that should be done around these month, but my client hasn't told me when to do it. So let's says that I'm free for those days.

I'm in anyway whether those jobs demanded to be done in those days. :P

Edited by black mage

Welp, sounds good to moi! I should be able to fix the "Issue" i have before the jam starts  :sweat: Then again any time is good for me as im 15 and dont have a very productive life at all. And no you may not know my secret  :yo: