New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
ShinkuAura

Your thoughts on the gaming industry.

If you're lazy to read like Mark then you might scroll down to the end.

Gaming has been around for quite a long time now.

Video games was born in 1947 by Thomas T. Goldsmith Jr. The game was the world's first cathode ray tube based game. The game was simple.

A beam from an electronic gun focused on a single point on screen to form a dot representing a middle. In a nutshell if the player missed it would simulate an explosion.

Ever since, gaming has grown more and more during the years. We all were born playing an NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, PlayStation one, etc.

However fast forward to 1990's which of course is the decade that has made gaming from 2D to 3D. And when the video game industry started to grow from this point on. We all grew in the 1990's and enjoyed classic games in our childhood.

Internet did exist in the 90's but it wasn't as popular as it is today. And games were distributed by word of mouth instead of going to social media's like Twitter or Gaming journalists like IGN or Polygon.

Now we are in the future of gaming. Which is 2014

And now gaming has become a giant, even surpassing Hollywood movies and music all together.

Now this is my opinion on the gaming industry today.

Many 'AAA' games today are turning into crappy, recycled, overhyped products.

Take Grand Theft Auto V. Personally GTA V is an overhyped game. I did enjoy some parts of Grand Theft Auto V. But see the big picture here.

GTA didn't bring anything new to the third person shooter, racing genre. And I found myself seriously disappointed with the product as it felt a 'recycled' product.

I have to say that Watch_Dogs was better in gameplay mechanics then GTA itself.

Now here's another problem with Watch_Dogs.

The game was overhyped and too bland.

And what disappoint me is that Ubisoft has lied to it's fan base saying that the experience will be a next generation experience. If people who were excited to get a PS4 or Xbox One for Watch_Dogs. Then PC users were even more excited and willing to play Watch_Dogs with their high_end PCs.

What I don't like about the industry is that it's lying to it's consumers.

I hate that companies now add stupid stuff like

Disc-locked DLC

Micro-Transactions

DRM

Or other unnecessary features that tarnish the gaming experience.

I've also seen a huge decline in developer creativity.

Games are made to have a great time and most importantly have fun.

Developers now a days do not care for quality anymore. If not quantity which is bad because franchises like Call of Duty does not add anything new to the first person genre.

But it's not just the FPS genre. It also happens with the third person genre.

I say that there's not nothing new.

Well you might as well say. 'People Don't want innovation'

Let me talk about a game that is pretty much revolutionary and game changing. 'Minecraft' made by three people in a small office managed to have a huge success. With a really small budget, and with a small team working on it.

Now if an Indie Game managed to pull off a huge success why can't bigger developers with a team of 100+ do a game that is rather interesting ?

This doesn't apply to all games of course. That's all the time I got for now. State your opinion down below.

TL;DR

Gaming industry is lying and putting bad and overhyped products. Adding stuff to restrict your experience. Developers not adding new interesting stuff. Indie Games like minecraft is interesting. Devs cannot do the same thing. Write down what you think.

PC MasterRace.

Edited by Omar510

My thoughts, The 'AAA' games that are produced by larger company are largely based on someone else's idea. The developers are paid to work to a certain plan, This Limits the creativity with the products that they produce. The marketing company is paid to do what they do and they do it exceptionally well to over-hype the game so well. However with indie games the developers have freedom of changing their product to their liking, whenever they want because they have the final decision on the product they produce, indie games are often open to the public from an early age (minecraft alpha, which i took part of) and receive feedback quite early on in development. Also many indie games don't have a dead line, and even if they do they don't need to oblige to it, (minecrafts Halloween Update(portals didn't work in multiplier on release) ). Overall indie games have alot more freedom than AAA games.

PC MasterRace.

I think game devs are to worried about making profits than actually making something good. they push out games as fast as they can without even really doing something new just to make a quick buck to make the next quick buck game.

As far as watch dogs. I loved the game for the first play through but its not worth a 2nd one. Where in GTA i played through more that thing 3 times and still not bored of it. I still haven't touched watchdogs since i beat it 3 days after release.

Consoles need to go. They are holding back games because devs have to dumb it down so its not a laggy peice of shit. Personally i think devs should make the game for PC with all the features and stuff they want then dumb it down and port it so shitty consoles.

Lots of people are saying consoles are slowly dying and i can agree. Why should i spend $400 every console generation for a console thats still half as powerful as a PC when i can spend $400 every 2 console generations. Consoles will always be less powerful than a PC and dont have very many exclusive titles. People will argue that its easier because a controller is easier for them to use and they like to play on the TV instead of sitting on a desk. Well they are wrong because you can infact hook up a PC to a TV and also use a controller no problem.

Sorry to get a little off topic i had to get that out there to you anti-pc people.

On to DLC/Expansions. I split up DLC into 2 areas.

DLC = Little content like guns, cars, outfits and levels/maps(looking at you COD).

Expansions = Stuff that actually adds stuff to the game like gameplay, new story, and tons of content that will just add hours of gameplay to the game.

I dont like DLC but like Expansions.

I dont much like DLC. I hate when any peice of content is held back by money. EX: Buying a new outfit for the player for $1 or a new car for $5. To me thats just dumb. Especially when its something that was just removed from the game to be able to sell it.

Expansions are actually good cause it actually adds to the game and makes it better. Look at skyrim for a good example. The expansions dragonborn and dawnguard were awesome as hell "Expansions" that actually added new world environments and new story elements where hearthfire was just a "DLC".

I think the gaming industry can bounce back to its glory days(the 90's) if they just stop cranking out as many games as they can and actually spend more time on them to make a better game with innovative technology. Cause "Next Gen" is not next gen at all, its the same as last gen. They also need to stop hitting their games with a hammer to make it more dumb so consoles can actually run it. Seriously whats up with this 720p shit on new consoles, 1080p should be a REQUIREMENT by now.

They also need to stop with the stupid "DLC" and micro transactions stuff and start releasing "Expansions" instead.

Dear: COD, Stop making games every damn year and start putting some damn effort into your games. Games shouldnt come out every year, they should come out every 2-? years as a masterpeice. Games should expand upon what was already done and not be the SAME as the other games before them. I know FPS's are hard to do something new with but at least try.

Honest Gamer, Polraudio.

Screw consoles. PC MASTERRACE FOR LIFE!

@Drago2308 Even if 'AAA' games are based by someone's idea. Programmers or even animators can come come up with their ideas of how the final product should be and they do get their creativity to the game. But what I want from 'AAA' in general is fun gameplay and a wonderful experience.

@Polraudio

I also hate DLC with a passion also.

Charging from $5 to $20 for a piece of content that has 2 New guns and 1 map is seriously a huge Rip-off.

Expansion packs make gamers enjoy the product even more. And developers should take note of such thing. I find it pretty rare that developers announce Expansion pack DLC.

Even though Consoles are holding back newer and better technology to rise.

It seems that consoles will not die yet. With the PS4 selling 10 million units along with the Xbox One's 5 million. We can see the share holders not complaining about it.

I am also really disappointed with Next-Gen consoles mostly because none of them really brought that special magic on to the table.

For instance the PlayStation One brought gamers to great 3D games with CD-Based technology and in 95 CD-rom were quite rare. The PlayStation 2 had the CELL processor which at the time was an advanced processor at that time surpassing PC rigs at the time.

Also with the eighth generation of consoles I find that many games such as Watch_Dogs are 900p@30FPS on next-Gen.

And I love that Microsoft didn't call the Xbox One. Xbox 720 because it is 720p gaming evolved.

Also with pretty much $400 you can make a beast PC that runs games in ultra setting.

I found myself to be impressed with these cheap $400 doller rigs to be running Crysis 3 on ultra setting above 30FPS. (Average is 40FPS) of course you need to have a beast PC to run Crysis 3 on 60FPS and up.

And they say PC is sooooooooo expensive. I have to give credit to John Romero (Doom' s co-creator) That PC gaming would be the future of gaming. He said that in the late 80's.