New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
drago2308

Drago's Learning to draw Journal

Hio! I'm drago (you can call me Drew if you want) and this is my little journal on how I am learning how to draw.

So basicly this whole post will be updated daily to what I decided to draw that day, to avoid making this post huge I'll be putting every image in spoilers (every image is 3000 by 3000 :P) and I'll also provide the pdf file so if you guys would like to open it up in your own Photoshop (with layers) you can go ahead.

Here's a little bit of background : Well I have always wanted to draw, I have always loved artwork and watching people draw, do speed art ect. A year back I decided to invest a small bit of money into getting myself something so I can properly draw with on the computer (a drawing tablet), this little thing was called the 'wacom intous small' and funny thing is that I didn't even end up using it for a looong time, and I really dont have a reason for that. However i did use the tablet to play an awesome game called osu! during this year or so.. Now its the present week (back of course) and i recently had a revelation, I like drawing I would say to myself, then why cant I just teach myself to draw! and that is where this came to be! To be honest I have never in my life (17 years) drew (hehe that's my name) complex drawings on paper, and I never really wanted to it just seemed to hard to enhance and if you made a mistake well you will be regretting it. Enough about this onwards with the learning.

If you guys would like the .psd and .lip files that i work with (the ones with layers)

Go here to download them: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9r7vll7t80cRDJjRlhsOWpnT3M&usp=sharing

Allright here is the first day, this is basically from having no drawing knowledge at all, I told tigurus the night before that i was going to attempt to draw the next day, possibly  an more enhanced version of my current avatar which I already think is nice but the resolution bugs me. WELL lets just say that it wasn't much of an enhancement.

test-drawing-custom-26643.png

Notes: So first of in this picture I'll tell you how long it took me to draw, it took me 3 hours in total, yup that's right 3 hours to make that monstrosity :P And all i was doing was tracing!
Secondly I noticed only after drawing it, that i wasn't using the pressure sensitivity on my tablet, so opacity and smaller stokes and all that nice looking stuff was not implemented XD I was so smart ehh. 
Third I really hope to come back to this and re draw it with all my might then have it as my avatar :P

Second Drawing!! Alright so this was the second day of practising to draw and i was thinking that yesterdays attempt was stupid and the eyes were pathetic so I decided to spend more time with drawing eyes and colouring them correctly, So I went and found myself a nice tutorial on how to do such that and i spent an hour just practising the eyes. Which resulted in this!

demo-drawings-1-5-hours-22-7-14--26643.p

Notes: well in my opinion I achieved a fairly good looking eye on the second one, I was very glad that I took the time to focus on drawing eyes as it helped out when getting into the faces.

Third Day Third Drawing : This time I didn't spend an whole hour to work on this piece. And it really does show, I was working on faces today, especially getting the form right,

test-drawing-45min-23-7-14-custo-26643.p

Notes: That eye on the right (the characters left eye) turned out good, when i drew this I had no idea on how hair works! (always had small hair, never look in a mirror to my ugly face, never paid much attention to others hair XD)

Day Four Another Drawing : On the fourth day I decided to have another tackle at drawing that face! It ended up much better. The enlarged eyes made things much easier and the hair was much better than what it was before.

d9dtest-drawings-24-07-14-1-25-hour-2664

Notes: Those pony tails were not easy and I really didn't like the look of them, I tried shading the eyes of the first drawing to see how they looked, they turned out alright.

Day 5 Layers: This day i decided to redraw yesterdays drawings again but this time larger and more defined, I quickly got used to drawing good circles, I was surprised myself when i drew that and got a ellipse to see if I got the circle right and it fitted perfectly. Next i used that circle to draw up the girls face. I also started to use lots of layers to make it easier for me (or you) to navigate the workspace, i hid the reference lines in the final shot.

6eatest-drawings-1-75-hours-25-7-14-2664

Notes: First time using layers so its really easy disable/ enable things. 

I spend an considerable amount of time making sure everything on this looked correct(1 hour and 45 min)

Those eyes 0.0

Day 6 Colouring! : So on this day I was actually at my friends place using my laptop, lucky i brought my tablet along so i could do something, and that was colouring! I spent a really long time just listening to music and colouring in the image, It was really calming :P

test-drawings-2-hours-26-7-14-cu-26643.p

Note: Shading the hair was the easiest part. getting the colours into every little crack was the difficult part due to drawing with the tablet in my lap on a bed XD

Day 7: THERE IS NO DAY 7 FUUU, (sorry i left my tablet cord at my friends place and i was unable to retrieve it during the day XD :()

Day 8 The final colouring: So today I just spent the rest of my time to get the colours finished in both eyes and everything else. 

test-drawings-28-7-14-custom-26643.png

and the cut out profile one.

finished-first-face-custom-26643.png

Note: A lot of layers in this one :P

Day 9 Unsatisfactory: Well this day i just decided to go on a whim and draw whatever without a reference at all, just draw from what i remembered from what i did before. Wasn't very good but its understandable because it was on a 45 degree profile which i haven't practised at all. 

03atest-drawing-45min-manga-studio--2664

Notes: I had fun just sketching this out.

This is a guy... I don't know exactly what makes him a guy except for the hair :P

Day 10 Ohh manga studio?: So today i decided to try out a program that is supposed to help with drawing manga as such, since its a new program and i don't even know how to chose colours let alone make something epic I just spent most of this time fiddling around with all the new options.

8e2test-drawing-1hour-manga-studio--2664

Notes: NO MORE SMALL PICTURES!!! :D

Day 11 The Process: Today I had a much better understanding on how manga studio works and started to somewhat document things along the way, This whole piece took me less than an hour to complete, Wow I say.

b53test-drawing-manga-studio-1-25mi-2664

Notes: So as you can see the picture is not perfect, the eye position is still way off :P and I could have spent longer on the hair but it really wasn't needed because I want to move on to a 45 degree portrait tomorrow. Plus I was getting the hang of how the hair flows now

Day 12 Nose Bleed: Well today was a weird one, I started to draw a 45 degree portrait and a few minutes later my nose begin to bleed so i had to take a while to calm it down and get it under control. After that you know how you get that weird feeling when you have lost a bit of blood and your brain doesn't function as fast as you think it would, well that's what i experienced and for something that should have only took me 45 min (At the final state that it was in) it took me a hole half an hour longer to draw due to re thinking and drawing over and over the image to make it look right.

test-drawing-1-25-hour-1-8-14-cu-26643.p

Note: I also had a few interruptions (I didn't include these in the draw time) that made working on this very inconsistent, getting taken too and from the zone of drawing it quite discomforting, I do not recommend doing that.

Day 13 Birthday!: Today was my friend birthday and since he is away in queensland at the moment I thought to myself what could i do for him that would out do buying him something. (cus thats not as thoughtful), and i came up with the idea of trying to draw him. Originally i wanted it to be a picture of him on the beach but I couldn't get any reference images for that, so I settled with his skype profile pic. 

sammy-finished-custom-26643.png

Notes: This picture took me 5 hours from start to finish, 4 hours was spent coloring, I think in need a better way of colouring. Its so time consuming having to do it all by hand.

I started this in manga studio but switched over to photoshop to colour it in due to not knowing how to colour in manga studio.

Sam was very happy to receive this as his birthday present.

I recorded the first hour but the rest i couldnt due to ram issues when painting in photo shop.

Day 14 Worn out: Today I didn't draw anything, i know I'm stupid for not doing so, however I'm looking forward to getting a new drawing tablet tomorrow which will greatly enhance my drawings accuracy and colour balance. Basicly today there was way to much going on in my life to get some time to draw, work, home drama stuff, you know the drill.

Day 15 Enhancements: Today I didn't receive that new drawing tablet D: Oh well, I decided to take an older drawing and update it to make sure it has no lines everywhere and touch up my manga studio skills. Generally tomorrow I'll get to figuring out how to properly colour in manga studio. (I re drew the whole thing, Fixed the broken chin and random lines everywhere)

test-drawings-1-5-hours-4-8-14-c-26643.p

Notes: This might just look like a quick re draw, but it wasn't. getting the lines right and redrawing the whole thing was harder than i originally  intended it to be, perfectionist nature made me redraw lines more that 10 times....

Day 16 New Tablet: So today I received my new tablet Woo. but there is one huge problem i hate with it... colour reproduction sucks with it. as in when i move the image from one screen to the other (tablet screen to proper screen) the colour completely shifts to a darker hue or something like that. I'll have to look around on how to change that! anyway today I went and practised colouring in manga studio, Turned out really good!, (not finished but I love how the eyes turned out).

test-drawings-1-5-hours-5-8-14-c-26643.p

Notes: As you can see the hair is a deep pink, which on the screen looked like a washed out version of that pink D:

Annnd I cant play Osu! with this tablet due to its "energy saving" feature in the pen where it turns of reception if it hasn't touched the screen in a while (EVEN IF ITS MOVING THE CURSOR AROUND -.-)

Day 17 Hair Detailing: Today i decided to add a lot of details to the hair of this character, It was kind of tough because I didnt draw enough hair 'splits' in the line art, which is extremely helpful for knowing where to detail the hair. Anyway you guys can judge this :P

test-drawings-1-hours-6-8-14-cus-26643.p

Notes: I like this new tablet A LOT :D, the colour offset isn't that bad, makes my images pop a bit more on a normal monitor.

Skin shading needs to be done next, then this should be finished, um, maybe I should put in a background :P

Day 18 On A Roll: I'm really surprised today on how much i got done in so little time! I finished the last piece (twice) and then moved straight onto the next sketch which I don't think is to bad with proportions and stuff. Hope you guys liked the final version of 'the girl with the pink hair' feel free to try and give her a name in the comments! :D looking forward to that.

test-drawings-20-min-7-8-14-cust-26643.p

test-drawings-40-min-7-8-14-cust-26643.p

test-drawings-2-30-min-7-8-14-cu-26643.p

Notes: I'm getting much better at colouring :D Gota love technique tutorials I love those people.

Like The Sketch? Does it look aright? Tell me in the comments plz :D

Day 19 Look Familiar?: Well Sorry I didn't get much done today :/ wasn't quite in the mood and the program was giving me problems... like selection problems exct. Redefined the lines and did the hair shadings.

test-drawings-1-25-hour-8-8-14-c-26643.p

Notes: I want to try out a new way of shading hair, but it it requires a girl with really long hair XD oh well maybe next drawing.

You should know who this is by now.

The right arm is out of proportion D: must fix later.

Day 20 Busy day: Today i had almost no time draw. was all over the place today, I did this on my laptop. D: so slow, D: so different. I got the skin, (Somewhat) done and preparing for drawing the eyes.

test-drawings-1-hour-9-8-14-cust-26643.p

Notes: So tired after today and disappointed with what I did (Drawing wize). oh well there's always tomorrow.

Day 21 Not Intended: Today I worked on the rest of that image, I ended up finishing it, but not the best way I could, some other time i might revisit this and remake it. maybe in another 20 days. For now i just wanted to get this out of the way in order to draw something that I'm currently interested in and would allow me to practice a certain type of hair shading that makes it look professional Also I like the character I'm going to draw.

test-drawings-2-hour-10-8-14-cus-26643.p

Notes: Those eyes just don't fit, I couldn't change them this late in development, I really didn't have the patience to change them for the 3rd time in one hour.

As you can see some things were rushed, the line art didn't work well with me when colouring I'll fix that next time.

Day 22 Two Sketches: Today I'm going to start some bigger so to begin with I sketched out Two different images, for it. Yes Omar I'm working on things other than just the face. Hope you like the sketches

test-drawing-b-r-s-1-custom-26643.png

test-drawing-b-r-s-2-custom-26643.png

Notes: I like the second one much better,(more clothing seems fun) 

These are really rough but again its just a sketch :D

Tell me who this is and you win a cookie in the comments!

Day 23 Defining Line: Well Today's task was quite straight forward, however it took me an exceptionally long time due to making sure that ever line was perfect. I didn't want to have any problems with colouring this time. Overall it took me a good hour and a half. Oh and the community thought this was the better sketch so I'll be working on this one first before moving onto the other, Even though I like the second one more. Eh It was a vote overall.

test-drawing-1-5-hours-12-8-14-b-26643.p

Notes: I'm sure that there is absolutely no line that is not correct, If their is Ima go die D:

Colouring will be much faster this time around because of the line work is perfected. Hopefully. 

Day 24 Hair Technique: Man! Drawing hair today was really hard, I don't think I'm that good yet but I tried. Hope you like it.

test-drawing-1-hour-13-8-14-b-r--26643.p

Notes: The best part of the shading was on her right side of the hair, (our left)

This took extremely long XD.

Day 25 Shading: Today I did the skin and the accessories, I took extra time trying to fix mistakes i made along the way.

test-drawing-1-hour-14-8-14-b-r--26643.p

Notes: I tried to make my own shading style but im not ready for that yet i think.

Clothing would be the hardest to colour and shade....

Day 26 Finished Character: YAY, Finally got that character finished. I spend extra time today doing the eyes. Man I found out an awesome way to do eye spectaculars. All without a tutorial!. Hope it looks good to you guys.

test-drawing-2-hour-15-8-14-b-r--26643.p

Notes: I cheated a little with shading the clothes, I didn't need to do any creases as such.

I hope this looks good on normal monitors, I have funky colours on mine XD.

Day 27 Not much: Today I was really busy being called into work and all, so I couldn't get much time to work on the drawing... all i got done was cleaning up the background lines and fixing a few shading pieces that i missed the first time though.

test-drawing-15-min-16-8-14-b-r--26643.p

Notes: Yea The lines are not even perfect oh well, I only had 15 min to spare today.

Day 28 Broken Streak!:Today, well today was hectic, work was unforgiving, someone called in sick so i had to work extra time that I was going to dedicate to drawing (3 hours of it!!), If you wondering where the rest of my time goes to, well its school work... Sorry for not having anything today, I'm going to finish of that drawing tomorrow and possibly start defining the lines of the other sketch because I really like that sketch.

Day 29 Squished for time: Today I was very squished for time and i spent every little amount of time i had on this, (1 and a half hours before i went to bed) So i go the background done, However i need to add the fog which will IMO enhance the image that much more. My hand hurts from trying to shade so much. XD

test-drawing-1-5-hours-18-8-14-b-26643.p

Notes: My pen is running out of battery and its was annoying the crap out of me when trying to draw lines/ coloring in.

Day 30 Finally Done!: Today i finally finished of that drawing that i have been working on for the past week, I believe that it turned out quite good :D hope you guys like it too, also today I got the defining of the second sketch done :D < this just gets easier and easier every time i do it.

test-drawing-30-min-19-8-14-b-r--26643.p

test-drawing-40-min-19-08-14-b-r-26643.p

Notes: That fog i used was from rpgmaker XP :D <3 rpgmaker

The defining of the lines on the last picture isn't as defined as it could be but it does the job.

Omar Alerted me to the possibility that i might run out of characters D: Hope this doesn't happen soon!

Day 31 Too much: There has been alot happening today so i really didn't have much time to do this, so i just fixed up and added a few things to the define lines i did last time, should look better.

test-drawing-20-min-20-08-14-b-r-26643.p

Notes: No Time D:

Fixed up the hair, hood and eye a tad.

Day 32 Over a Month!: Well I did it! I broke a record, Usually when I pick up something the novelty of said activity wears out within a month, but for me now drawing is literally something that i cant bring myself to leave without feeling empty for not drawing for that day, It's properly integrated into my routine! I couldn't have done it without your support as a forum of great and helpful people! Aside from that fact! An awesome person came to our school today, He was an concept artist who teachers a school in Adelaide and we were lucky enough for him to come down, explain what he did and how he got into his kind of position, its funny how you can start off wanting one thing in life and ending up receiving something else that fits you much better. And he even did for us a 20 min full concept art painting. It took him only 20 min to finish a whole painting D: goes to show how much practice can do.

Anyway today I worked on getting the colours right, no shading yet that's for tomorrow, I learnt a few new tricks from that guy which i used to speed up my work flow :D It really works.

test-drawing-1-hour-21-08-14-b-r-26643.p

Notes:Notice less white streaks next to the outlines, I found a way to fix that

I have started to use reference layers, Much Much better than using the wand tool -.-

Also I'm testing out values in this picture as well. the whole image will change in tone at the end.

Day 33 Shading again: Today i got the shading done, Not to hard, had a few troubles getting the face back lit. the hair may look weird at the moment but you will see what i envisioned it to be soon. I Also re done the eye.

test-drawing-1-5-hours-22-08-14--26643.p

Notes: They eye colour is a little too light, I'm unsure on how to fix this cus simply overlaying it wont do the trick D:

Day 34 Birthday!: Today is my birthday! Wooo, Sorry no drawing today but i have just been to busy, You know, hope you guys don't mind if i take one day off.  :D

Day 35 Recovery: After the night of the birthday party i was sooo tired however i was not going to stop drawing, no way. So today i finished off the drawing, added effects and things, fixed the eye color cleaned some lines. had some fun.

test-drawing-45-min-24-08-14-b-r-26643.p

Note: Now to return to my work......

Day 36 Just Eyes: Today I couldn't think of something to draw, however afterwards after surfing the interwebs i found something that took my interest! I'll try that out tomorrow. If not ill practice values cus i suck at them.

test-drawing-1-hour-25-8-14-cust-26643.p

Notes: One of theses eyes I didn't draw from reference, guess what one (not the line one)

Day 37 Blog: No Drawing today, I couldn't find any inspiration at the moment. however i spend the time working overtime on the blog. up to day 13 on that. (I can't simply copy and paste it....). Ima try painting next time, (I haz a book D:)

Day 38 Values: Today I wanted to have a new take on drawing, Soo this means painting! (i cant fucking draw yet what am i doing!) well I'm just trying new things, I tried doing quick values. (im sure i completely stuffed it up lots, I just went from memory) Hopefully you get the general direction where the painting is going.

test-drawing-27-8-14-ice-1-custo-26643.p

Notes: I have a thing for characters in long clothing.. I like long clothing XD and the cold XD.

This image is TOO BIG, like its huge...

Day 39 Values Again: I'm still playing around with values... I'm doing some clean up and defining, ill probably have to do this multiple times before i color it.... still i need to get the values right..

test-drawing-40-min-28-8-14-ice--26643.p

Notes: values are hard...

Day 40 Lazy: Yup.. I'm Lazy

Day 41 Looking better: Today I didn't touch the character instead i focused on getting the background and foreground looking good. I think you will agree that it looks better now, I had to switch back to photoshop for this....

test-drawing-2-hours-30-8-14-ice-26643.p

Notes: Yes I finally see whats wrong with this piece. the perspective is wrong! I'll get to fixing that.

Phew I caught up

Day 42 Didn't Catch up: Well, There isn't much i can say about missing this day out, except that i was working most the day...

Day 43 Character progression: Today i spend a lot of time touching up the character to make "it" (im not telling you what gender it is ill let you guess) Also i went and made the background look a bit better, I'll get to making it look great later on,

test-drawing-1-5-hours-1-9-14-ic-26643.p

Notes: Notice the motion blur on the snow to make it look like the wind is in a certain direction

I'll fix that perspective soon enough

Day 44 Polishing and cleaning: The title explains its all, All i can do at the moment is polish up what I already have, make it look nicer. If you wondering what i did, here is a list, Fixed a whole lot of values in the glacier, defined the sword, gave the foreground an outline.

test-drawing-40-min-2-9-14-ice-1-26643.p

Notes: I'm unsure on how to proceed and fix the perspective, I'll figure it out.

I know i still missed a bit of values in the glacier

Day 45 Sketch...: Today i wasn't in the mood for drawing so i just drew without any reference. At this moment I was extremely tired so i didn't expect much, I was quite bored of the painting that i have been working on.

test-drawing-30-min-3-9-14-sword-26643.p

Notes:I was tired ok. 

Day 46 BRUSHES!!!: Why didn't i think of this before! Custom brushes are amazing! Today i was researching some art things and i saw custom brushes for photoshop.. since i used manga studio i looked for some there as well and lo and behold there was heaps!I wish i did this to being with, Oh and i used the brushes to color (simply) the scene.

test-drawing-1-5-hours-4-9-14-sw-26643.p

Notes: I loved drawing the sky/clouds with the new brush!

I also used a cube brush and a bristle brush so far in this image.

Day 47 Where the update!: Sorry guys, there has been a lot happening lately, since my school year is finishing up i need to spend a crap tone of time working on school work, This is just redefining the sword which will take time to paint.

test-drawing-1-hours-5-9-14-swor-26643.p

Notes: THOSE LINES ARE JUST FOR GUIDES. shh omar for now :.P

Day 48 Fathers Day: today was a lazy day... 

Day 49 Perspective Practice: Today i thought to myself that i need to learn some more fundamentals such as perspective, So today i decided to practice that! Since Manga Studio comes with a perspective grid this exercise is easy. Creating block shapes ect. were easy however making sure everything is in the right perspective, as in height compared to other objects was the learning part. I ended up trying out 2 different images, the first one with 2 vanishing points, the last with 1 vanishing point. I will try 3 vanishing points tomorrow.

test-drawing-30-min-8-9-14-pers--26643.p

test-drawimg-30-min-8-9-14-pers--26643.p

Notes: With the first picture those sticks next to the buildings on the right are human height, the one on the left is power line height,

The 2 vanishing point one is noticeably better than the 1 vanishing point due to better perspective. 3 will be better than 2 I hope.

That new brush i'm using is a tad different than what im used to, it will take me a little to get used to.

Day 50 I tried: Well its day 50! that's right half a century, ya think i can get to 100! Aside from that Today i worked on a scene i thought up in my head, for something that zahraa recommended, however whatever way i tried I was disappointed with my work, I spent ages working on the one that should have only took me a few min to make, im unsure on how to draw clothing D:

Without Assist looks weird:

test-drawing-20-min-9-9-14-cs-no-26643.p

With Assist:

test-drawing-1-hour-9-9-14-cs-as-26643.p

Note: The assist is a 3d model placed over the image allowing me to trace the proportions correctly. however placing it there is a pain and is extremely hard to move joints, who designed that.!

I used a 3 point perspective this time around, I'm unsure of why it won't do what i want... 2 point seems a lot easier

Now i just need a character as a reference. again i'm unsure if i should draw a male or female. Males are so much harder however I already started the male hair and used a male figure.

It took me 40 min longer to draw the assisted one WTF D:

51 Ummm: I have no idea what happend that day

Day 52 Blue Screen!: FUU, today after drawing for a good 40 min my computer decided to blue screen D:, what about auto saves you say... well i use manga studio unlike photoshop doesn't support auto saving which is a pain in the but... Anyway i was just working on the face. Sorry for no image.

Day 53 Modeling: Heyya sorry for not uploading this quickly but lately i have been working on a 3d project, (3d modeling and visual effects is something i have practiced for a good 3 years) If you know who  this is you win a cookie! YES i know this is not a drawing but i really wanted to do something else for a few days, I hope you would understand.

miku-neon-glow-26643.jpg

Notes: At the moment she is lacking a rig, I will do that when i learn how to rig (tonight)

I tried my hardest to make the visual effects look nice, tell me how it looks.

The Image quality has been hindered due to exporting it as a jpg, the fuzzyness is not apparent in a png render however it gets rid of the black background which makes her seem out of place.

Day 54 Rigging: I have been working on the rig for that character i made yesterday. It is almost done however i need to rig all the accessory's and hair. Sorry for no picture of it, I will not be posting updates on this because this is a drawing journal not a modeling journal, however it was something to do while i had nothing to draw with

Day 55 Clothing: Today i finally got home so i can draw again WEEW, I defined the face and tried drawing the clothing, i think i did a good job D: hopefully you guys like is so far.

test-drawing-1-hour-30-min-14-9--26643.p

Notes: I couldn't draw the second hand and ear sorry, don't have time tonight!

Day 56 Incoming!: Lots of school work incoming so I will not have time to write a full description as it is not necessary You can see the changes right?

test-drawing-1-hour-30-min-15-9--26643.p

Notes: Need to draw the hands!

Day 57 Hands and zippers: Hey, Today i finished of drawing the line art for the clothes, im no good at hands and zippers but oh well...

test-drawing-30-min-16-9-14-cs-a-26643.p

Notes: I haven't done the feet yet, that's next then for coloring from the head down!

Day 58 Cover Design: Today I went a little spree of looking for custom skins for my phone, However i came to the conclusion that i could make my own art put on my phone, Here is what i came up with. (Inspiration from the Xperia SO-04E ME)

nexus-miku-26643.png

Notes: I should have done this in a much higher resolution, however what is done is done..

Day 59 Homework galore!: Title speaks for it self, I'll continue drawing when i can.

Day 60 The Wrath continues: Today i once again couldn't draw anything, spending time on assignments till 11pm from 4pm is so annoying,thank you school. The skin is being shipped to me today! here is a preview of it.

miku-on-phone-26643.jpg

Notes: I will send pictures of the skin on the device when i get it. The skins name is called mirai. If you would like me to make you one for you specific device just ask me.

Day 61 Art Styles: Finally the weekend so i got to draw again, So today i drew something that someone requested, It wasn't something I was used to so It may not look perfect but i hope you guys like it to

test-drawing-1-hour-19-9-14-omr--26643.p

Notes: MGS Style. with heavy shading. I did values alright in this one

Day 62 Take 2: So thinking that if i was to ask for a piece of art i would like to have a choice of multiple images, so i decided to go ahead and draw 1 more displaying a slightly different style (It comes in to flavors)

32btest-drawing-1-hour-21-9-14-unsh-2664093test-drawing-20-min-21-9-14-semi-2664

Notes: These ones are very big, unintentional. the program i used for quartering the size must not of worked D:

I like the eyes in this one but the rest kinda didn't work out

Day 63 Back to the other drawing: Time to return to finish the drawing i started a while ago. I added color and fixed up the face. the color is just base colors, shading will come soon enough.

test-drawing-1-hour-30-min-23-9--26643.p

Notes: Still no feet lol

Day 64-67 Exam's and after math.: Well the exams are finally over! woo. 1 more year till the end of high school then, well i don't know then, Ill have to see after that!. So i did a little more of the image above.

test-drawing-1-hour-30-min-26-9--26643.p

Note: Changed the hair color lol, and added lighting to the characters face and hair. I like having a reference of where the light is coming from.

Day 67-79: Hey hey, sorry about no updating this in over a week, for those thinking that I stopped drawing, I can tell you I have not! I am continuing to draw every single day, however the things i am drawing right now are for a reason, so i cannot show them all off. It has been extremely good for my learning though, drawing things that i would never draw normal but practicing it will always make me better. I have asked if i could share something and i was permitted to share one image of many. (this was done in one day such an improvement from the multi day drawings i had to do)

untitled-character-concept-face--26643.p

Notes: Not much, 

And that's all the way up to right now! Just remember to come back every day to see my latest work for the day. 

Now go back up and compare the last image to the first image, that is how much as little as a few days/weeks can do to your work. 

If you would like to comment on all this go ahead! suggestions, feedback and anything else is great to have you can even ask me questions if you would like to know some basic things before you start drawing ect. Have fun in that comment section!

So I am going to say it again, I will update this daily, and will comment on this thread once a week to make sure you guys know its updated with another 7 images. If this is a problem just tell me :D

UPDATE 1: I re-sized all of the images to 25% their original size to make it easier to view on the forum. you can still access the full files here:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9r7vll7t80cRDJjRlhsOWpnT3M&usp=sharing

UPDATE 2: LOL apparently i cant use more emotions oh well.

UPDATE 3: My google drive has been updated with a readme just stating a few things about these images, such as public use and what things i use to draw ect. Go check it out!.

Edited by drago2308

Whoa, some galery you had there.

I'm not sure what to say, 'cept that loading the picture is almost killing me. :annoyed:

Maybe you can resize them a bit, since my screen is not even a half of 3000x3000, and I'm sure most of us too. lol

Some said that mastering one skill is better than try to learn everything at once.

I think you should work on the front view first, rather than jumping right to the side and 45 degree. The front view is almost good I think, the pink haired one. :thumbsup:

Well, that's just my oppinion. I'm not even an artist myself :annoyed:

Edited by black mage

Whoa, some galery you had there.

I'm not sure what to say, 'cept that loading the picture is almost killing me. :annoyed:

Maybe you can resize them a bit, since my screen is not even a half of 3000x3000, and I'm sure most of us too. lol

ahh thanks for the feed back, I really needed that cus i didn't know if it was viewable by some people because for me the forum automaticly resized the images to fit. and the raw image would just resize itself to a reasonable size when in raw image form (on chrome).  Ill get right to resizing them all to 25% their original size for ease of loading :P give me a few min. I work in such high pixel density to avoid zooming into pixels and not getting detail. my monitor is only 1080p. Edit: Resized them all for ya! :D

The thing with learning one thing (the front on view) is that I wouldn't know how to draw characters with poses later on but since you suggested it I'll work on getting the front view perfected to a point. since I would like to draw my friend for his birthday :P. tomorrows image might be a few hours long not just the usual hour. I think the hardest part to learn in drawings is anatomy which im going to dread :cry:  

Edited by drago2308

Thanks. The loading is somewhat faster now. :)

Well, if you'd like to do poses, I'm not going stop you. :)

Don't put yourself too hard on anatomy. You'll see many pictures that doesn't fit the anatomy, and still looks great. :)

Good luck on drawing your friend. Say happy birthday from me will ya :p

Guess what! its the 14 day, so that means 2 weeks of learning!, (I cheated on the last one) 2 weeks = 2 full images of achievement!  :)

Day 21 Already?! Time moves so quickly lately, OH well As Promised another 7 images and guess what, I managed to get one out every day, not like last time :P. Hope you guys enjoy view my progress. Never Hesitate to ask questions on how i go about learning and stuff like that, I would be more than happy to share.

Wow, the final the product is really good! :thumbsup:

Thank you marked! I'm really glad you like it. It really encourages me to do better

You're Improving each time you put in a new drawing.

However some line cleaning wouldn't be so bad now and then.

Thanks Omar for giving some encouragement, Hehe yea I kind of got lazy with the lineart on the last one, It was getting so annoying due to if i deleted the line it would leave just white, so if i wanted to colour that too i would need a perfect gradient, and since i do gradients with the water tool it merges the white with the other colors which is really bad. In the next drawing I will devote a lot more time to getting the lineart correct and finished.

Since you made a slight improvement over the days.

Why not challenge yourself with something more difficult?

Try something like environmental drawings. Or try drawing some vehicles.

You can actually do it. Drawing is a sport and you'll eventually improve much, much more.

Since you made a slight improvement over the days.
Why not challenge yourself with something more difficult?

Try something like environmental drawings. Or try drawing some vehicles.
You can actually do it. Drawing is a sport and you'll eventually improve much, much more.

Alright, I might try some background drawings for my next image, (It won't be natural though), And I'd Really like to practice an hair drawing technique. So today I will Sketch out the character first then work on sketching out the background, and maybe adding some colour to it. Just some thoughts, this whole project will most likely take me the whole week to draw completely, including the Background, and new hair style. also the clothing and body shape will be an absolute pain in the arse but it will be done.

It's a very nice gallery. I have only one suggestion. I think it can be much better if you draw lips when drawing female characters. I saw many animes with one line as their lips but I believe it's VERY better to draw lips completely :thumbsup:

Day 28 woo 4 weeks into learning, sorry for not getting a full picture out this week has just been stupidly hectic and I'm sorry to say but next week will be even worse! (my birthday and all) hope you like the development images so far, I'm thinking about recording the development of these pieces and putting them up as speed art. (probs 10x speed cus i'm slow) but It'll look really cool IMO. Tell me what you think!

It's a very nice gallery. I have only one suggestion. I think it can be much better if you draw lips when drawing female characters. I saw many animes with one line as their lips but I believe it's VERY better to draw lips completely :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement zahraa! and also the suggestion. My answer for this is that the art style I'm going for is very much close to anime style. so the lips are nearly non existent, (however i noticed that i need to fix up the mouth line in my latest art :S) also I had a go at drawing lips once but i deleted them soon after due to them 'not fitting' < this is only my judgment. The style that I'm drawings is also a fair bit away from reality, as realism gets tossed out the window so does facial features shape and priority, smaller mouth and nose and larger eyes and forehead. However I do see where you got that preference from, your avatar. If you notice that you avatar has a more prominent nose and realistic eyes than what other styles have, there for to keep with the realistic tone of the image they had to draw the mouth with lips as well. Overall it looks like an amazing drawing. However if i was to integrate full lips into my drawings they wouldn't 'fit', especially with the character that i'm working with now. However in the future i plan to do a drawing with somewhat realistic features, so that will be the time that I will draw full lips. 

If you are wondering who I base my drawings off of I like these ones. http://sonnyaws.deviantart.com/

However those are really really hard to do but i hope to make art as well as her in due time!

Thanks again for the suggestion and interest in my drawings! :D

I have to say that the chick with the blue hair and hood looks really good.

And the background is looking decent as well.

Shading is going smooth as I can see.

I can't really complain about your new picture you've posted.

I have to say that the chick with the blue hair and hood looks really good.

And the background is looking decent as well.

Shading is going smooth as I can see.

I can't really complain about your new picture you've posted.

Thanks Omar! glad to see that you liked it, I'll get to the background color's and shading a soon as i can. I have One more night to work and One test tomorrow so I swear by tomorrow (maybe even tonight) that image will be finished and out of the road! < It's getting on my nerves how long this one has taken me due to all the bloody interruptions this week. Next image to do is the next sketch (which in my opinion looks better cus its a action shot :P)

With the time i get free at school, (other than the time spent on revising for tests ect.) I am trying to put together a website that will host all of these images as a blog, have a home page for any other projects i have, contacts (for if anyone wants to add me as a friend to chat ?) and a commissions/suggestions page where you can suggest me to draw anything (commissions are only for when I get really good... ). So I'm looking forward to getting that up and running by the end of this month. But most likely due to things as they are (being busy and all) It might be later than that, for now everything will be updated here until that time arivives

Let me guess. Your blog will be your Deviant Art page...

No Omar that would be way too easy :P you should know by now that I'm not the one to do things the easy way ;)

Edit: Although I will have use my deviant art page to upload my finished works

Edited by drago2308

At the meantime, try and finish your drawings will you mate? :P

Also about 'that' blog. You better work on it. For the simple fact that each post gives you limited characters. However GDU has a large character limit. But soon you'll find yourself to not post any new content.

Edited by Omar510

At the meantime, try and finish your drawings will you mate? :P

Also about 'that' blog. You better work on it. For the simple fact that each post gives you limited characters. However GDU has a large character limit. But soon you'll find yourself to not post any new content.

Oh I'm working on it alright, Hopefully I don't hit the character limit before I finish it of D: Also if possible could you think of a better name than "dragos learning to draw journal" because I really don't think i thought much about the name of the topic before creating it... and I'm currently stuck for names for the moment.... As for getting that image done, that should be done today as it only needs 1 or 2 more layers to be complete. Then i'll work on defining the lines of the other sketch, after 7 though due to homework....

I don't anything wrong with 'dragos learning to draw journal'

But if you insist.

Drew's experimental drawing Journal.

Drago2308's Sketching journal.

Drago2308's Anime doodles

That's all I can come up with at the moment.

Drew's experimental drawing Journal.

I think if this is adapted to Drago's Experimental Drawing Journal, That would suit just fine :D Thanks omar!

That's Day 35! 5 weeks into drawing, Still loving it :D. Speed art recording of my next drawing will be a must! Also that blog is coming along however its very slow progress, (having to copy and past all the old content onto it).

I'm thinking of integrating my skills from 3d modeling/animation and use them in a drawing, eg. creating a mode to then draw over. (some of the artwork that i see online turn out amazing using this technique)

If you guys want to suggest for me to draw something that you guys would like now is the time so speak up! Looking forward to it!

Again thanks to the community for the continued support!

Well even though you changed your cute Kirito avatar making a lot of members question your gender.

You change your avatar yet to another attractive female (which is very well done)

Also just a reminder, that drawing blog needs to be done now. I feel that you'll reach the limit any day now.

For five weeks you've improved a lot. But let me be a bit harsh on you now.

Your drawings are solid, but it could be much better.

Bare in mind that criticizing is easy. Creating art Isn't.

Now make some art that Mark would like.

You know....that day in the chat...

Ahh! its week 6 already (day 42)! Yes yes i know sorry for missing out on yesterdays image, I was a tad busy. However I think i made up for it with today's progress on the image, Thats over a month of drawing! So if any one is wondering on the blogs progress its getting there, i still have alot to do with it, i think once i reach the magical character limit that omar has told me about that will be crunch time to really pump out the blog. until then all i can do is hope that that character limit is not near...

For five weeks you've improved a lot. But let me be a bit harsh on you now.
Your drawings are solid, but it could be much better.
Bare in mind that criticizing is easy. Creating art Isn't.

Thanks for the criticism, I know i can do much better its just a matter of time that keeps it from being from what it is now to professional made. both in practice and in the time spent working on each piece.

Now make some art that Mark would like.
You know....that day in the chat...

No, Omar just no..

I won't let this fabulous topic go down to the bottom of the barrel.

Drago, I see that you've made some concept art type of drawing. Are you doing something here? Anyway I'm quite impressed with the latest art here. (Day 40) If you keep doing these type of drawings I maybe will have a small talk about 'concept art' for my project here.

Keep up the good work. Oh and clean some lines will ya?

I won't let this fabulous topic go down to the bottom of the barrel.

Drago, I see that you've made some concept art type of drawing. 

Keep up the good work. Oh and clean some lines will ya?

Thanks again for the support, sorry  for kinda giving up on the concept art type of painting, it was a small phase i was going though and now that i think about it I need much more knowledge on basic things such as values and lighting before i tackle things like that. I guess I might revive the character from it tho, somewhere in the future.

HA Line cleaning pfft! I can't do that well in photoshop.

Day 48 D: nearly 50 days, I don't have anything special planned for that day so sorry, have any suggestions for it be sure to share your thoughts. (Just like omar here :D)

Ugh I still need to do a speed art of something, something that isn't experimental.

Im also looking for art courses so i can learn a bit more of the theory behind art and stuff like that. cus im lacking in that skill. 

I'd like to see some full body characters. Also there are a lot of basic tutorials out there. I think you can find them with a simple search.

I'd like to see some full body characters. Also there are a lot of basic tutorials out there. I think you can find them with a simple search.

YUS! this is why the community loves you, great advice at the right time. That is exactly what i need to do, a full character. ( I have an idea on what to draw now i just have to keep it in mind until i get home.).

As for tutorials, Yea there are heaps, that i what i used when drawing the first few drawings 1- 12~ or so. and i still use them today, they are great! but what i would really like if there was a course that kinda forced me to learn certain things over time, such as composition, anatomy and lighting ect. I'm more of a person that would look up specific tutorials at certain points in the drawing, say if im doing the face i would look up something that told me fundamentals on face composure, I would really like to break this "cycle" by learning all of it over a few weeks or so, then i wouldn't have to look up tutorials all the time. Since i can't find any good manga art courses I'll stick to what you said and continue using the small tutorials online.