New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Carousel Header

You guys may have noticed the 4 boxes at the top of the forums and homepage now have arrows, and jump around every few seconds. In web development that's what's called a carousel because... y'know its like a bunch of things going around in circles.

5cf52e9a6819686b3366efb6c9f23fba.png

The idea is to advertise our cool stuff and advertise new stuff like latest news, latest collective and last content. The goal is for it to be self automated, although that can be difficult. For example, this topic will show up as soon as I post it. And as shown above a featured tutorial and featured game is displayed. This works by querying the database and selecting a random featured item, so that's fully automatic.

You guys should let me know if there's anything that really deserves to be up there, and of course which games/tutorials should be featured. Right now there's no feature system for scripts or resources so there's nothing up there.

This is really awesome :) is it JS?

Any chance you can make it stop on mouseover? it appears to be going too fast or me to read each carousel segment :p

Edited by FleshRenderStudios

Yup, of course. Uses this: http://www.owlgraphic.com/owlcarousel/index.html It's a great plugin. There's not really another way to do this without using JS, I think technically you could do it in CSS although you just wouldn't for compatibility issues, and there is flash but its a travesty that it was ever used to display content on a website. :P

I should tell you guys how I've put this site together, it's pretty interesting. But only for the fact two softwares are running (hopefully seamlessly) in parallel to power GDU. I suppose its only interesting to those who know the limitations of websites.

well it looks extremely simple in there plugin section where they show you the code lol :p I'm sure there is a little more too it though that I'm not seeing haha:p

BTW look in my post above I edited it:p

Oops, should stop on mouse over now.

Yes that's correct, jquery plugins are very simple. You include Jquery, you include the plugin, you initialize the plugin which does something usually to some kind of HTML markup. What Jquery does is make some fancy happen with HTML. That's very simple. What web developers do (as opposed to front-end developers eg html, css, js etc) is use a programming language that outputs the HTML. Most people can install the plugin but its stuff like getting random featured tutorials or games to show up in there. That's the most difficult thing but still pretty easy. If you want to see complicated you should look at my games section code :P

@RG: Thx and nice to see you back here again :)

Good to be back. I published CyberDrive's demo here. I have...plans....  :shifty: 

Just a question: How can I get my game featured?

Sounds rather simple when you explain it lol and I would love to see your games section code lol :p

Oh bw completely unrelated topic but for some reason I can't get in chat it just constantly loads :S

Good to be back. I published CyberDrive's demo here. I have...plans....  :shifty: 

Just a question: How can I get my game featured?

It's pretty much up to the discretion of me. I made it so that I am the only one who moderates the games section because I know some developers take very seriously their content and intellectual property.

I have featured your game as the page you've created is particularly good... the graphics are just brilliant. And especially since you have a 2hr+ demo.

33dcaf0be813b3f0dd54d1d181e2a70b.png

If you want the image to be clearer, you could upload a larger avatar (its set to avatars until I build functionality for game logos).

You could also PM regarding these "plans", and I could also tell you my own in terms of the games section. Hopefully soon I can make it much more customizable.

Sounds rather simple when you explain it lol and I would love to see your games section code lol :P

Oh bw completely unrelated topic but for some reason I can't get in chat it just constantly loads :S

It's working for me. Might be the third party scripts, it relies on a system called Pusher to actually send messages to their server and deliver them back here uber quickly. It was super good technology when I made this in 2012. Try again and lemme know if you're still getting the error. The game section is a beast in terms of the code... I was really dedicated when I wrote all that up. All those customizations... and all the little features that probably no one knows about :P

I'll show you the end part of my favorite part... its a super awesome amazing system that handles updating all the settings

4654301aa1071cf67d35e1e2e92d503e.png

80% sure that wouldn't help a hacker... It's almost like a database router... interpreting data and sending it to the right place.

It's pretty much up to the discretion of me. I made it so that I am the only one who moderates the games section because I know some developers take very seriously their content and intellectual property.

I have featured your game as the page you've created is particularly good... the graphics are just brilliant. And especially since you have a 2hr+ demo.

If you want the image to be clearer, you could upload a larger avatar (its set to avatars until I build functionality for game logos).

You could also PM regarding these "plans", and I could also tell you my own in terms of the games section. Hopefully soon I can make it much more customizable.

It's working for me. Might be the third party scripts, it relies on a system called Pusher to actually send messages to their server and deliver them back here uber quickly. It was super good technology when I made this in 2012. Try again and lemme know if you're still getting the error. The game section is a beast in terms of the code... I was really dedicated when I wrote all that up. All those customizations... and all the little features that probably no one knows about :P

I'll show you the end part of my favorite part... its a super awesome amazing system that handles updating all the settings

4654301aa1071cf67d35e1e2e92d503e.png

80% sure that wouldn't help a hacker... It's almost like a database router... interpreting data and sending it to the right place.

well to reply to the "original piece of code"you posted in your reply it seems as tough it was something to do with the game page selection, switching between each page header i.e home, screenshots, contact us etc. and also assigning a name for each of those tab's :)

As for the 2nd bit it seems very similar to JS actually :) I mean I know it's query but it is very similar to JS :)

Cool. It's beautiful....neber.gif

Just a disclaimer for everyone else making a game, I'm aiming for CyberDrive to be featured forever. So...watch out. :D

My plans really center around the PRO features of the game section. But I do need something from you. I'll PM you tomorrow since I have a bit of graphics work I have to get to.

I mainly want it to edit the CSS coding option and uploading the game to the site. I'd rather upload it here than Mediafire. (This has somewhat to do with my ..."plans"...)

I mainly want it to edit the CSS coding option and uploading the game to the site. I'd rather upload it here than Mediafire. (This has somewhat to do with my ..."plans"...)

We can talk :)

well to reply to the "original piece of code"you posted in your reply it seems as tough it was something to do with the game page selection, switching between each page header i.e home, screenshots, contact us etc. and also assigning a name for each of those tab's :)

As for the 2nd bit it seems very similar to JS actually :) I mean I know it's query but it is very similar to JS :)

It's not different from JS that part... quite a bit different in terms of objects, but I actually have not idea how to use OOP in js :P I

As for the original piece of code I had in there before editing it, its what is called serialising. You take a big array of data and convert it into a string so it can be put into a single database column. Then you bring it out of the column and turn it back into an array to use in PHP, maybe change some values, re-serialize and shoot it back up. It's actually pretty cool. Most database columns in any web app contains a single value. With this I am defining the default pages when you create a new page, each with 5 settings themselves. So I'm storing 5 x 6 = 30 variables in a single column which define the existence of the pages. It's pretty cool and necessary to give you guys ultimate control over the pages :)

Yeah editing .CSS would be nice :) deciding where exactly each little widget goes i.e move the progress bar to a different page or Game Details (copyright info etc.) to a different page, The ability to store bigger game file's (Mine could go upto an INXS of 2GB if it does end up being 80+ Hours long, Few years away from completion yet though unless I get some serious help).

That does sound awesome I have to admit :oO

P.S serious problems with chat, not displaying current people in there, messages are not always posted in chronological order, sometime's end's up being an infinite loading screen.

deciding where exactly each little widget goes i.e move the progress bar to a different page or Game Details (copyright info etc.) to a different page, The ability to store bigger game file's

I could do that, but design customizability is going to my priority when I have to start developing it more. With bigger files, I really want to store games locally, of course. That way there will never be dead links. I hate deadlinks with a passion. Lizzie S has made some pearlers over the years, having been here 7 years, they're lost forever. But the issue is as you say, some of these games get huge, and if they're popular we are talking some serious bandwidth which is likely to exceed what we have by lot. That's the issue. That's why I have envisioned paid accounts for bonus stuff in order to fund a better server so we can store those things. But you've got to walk before you can run... it needs a lot of improvements before it gets to the stage. Its all a balance act isnt it... you want to allow local uploads up to as much as possible where you're bandwidth limit be reached and you want all these great features to bring people in, but you want to save the really good features to sell them so you can sustain the necessary server.

P.S serious problems with chat, not displaying current people in there, messages are not always posted in chronological order, sometime's end's up being an infinite loading screen.

O.o I'll look into that..

Yeah I can understand where your coming from mark :) getting the right mix with each thing is vital, steady little increases in functionality before just off loading 150TB bandwidth lol :P

as for the chat thing thanks, it was working just so dunno if it's sortedit self out or whatever but still worth looking into.

EDIT:- You have deadlink's on the carousel lol :p mainly the tutorials btw.

Yep~ I'm thinking of doing like, automatic MOTM things, but mmm not sure. Maybe its just easier to do it manually. The number of queries required to load the forum index is high enough with this new header system. I could always give staff access to access their HTML directly though :>

49eefffc2c59a8862722410e05f3a270.png

I was a bit lazy with the markup :P

I understand staff being able change their own sections in the markup but what about regular member's pages using deadlink's? could a staff member change that as well if it was reported to a staff member?

oh like when you click on tutorial for rgss or any of the tutorials (the old ones) actually it gives you a 404error would the original poster be able to ask you or another member of the staff team to change the link to the correct one?

Yeah, you gotta ask me though unfortunately. Unless its a link in a topic, a moderator cannot change a deadlink. Mods can mainly only edit peoples posts. The rest I can change, coz I am the web master *gets off on power*