New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Bigace360

Introduction to Computer Science & Web Development

I know that some of you are always wondering how to program in your game or other applications. Well right now I have two places you can learn how to program and more, which are: Codecademy and EdX. Which I will explain below:

Code Academy is a website that teaches you how to program in: HTML/CSS, Javascript, jQuery, Python, Ruby, PHP, and APIs. Also, if you already know the language, to set up your own class in any of the given program languages already stated. It's free, all you have to do is sign-up so you can keep track of your score and lessons.

http://www.codecademy.com/

post-9377-0-77316800-1401136615.png

EdX allows you to take great online courses from the world's best universities. This site allows you to take expensive courses for free wherever, whenever you want. You can of course get a certification, which will cost you which you can read more about that below. 

https://www.edx.org/

Sometimes you want to take and pass a course just for the sheer joy of learning something new. But sometimes you need to complete a course to get a better job, or a promotion, or to include in a college application.
EdX has launched a Verified Certificate of Achievement to help you with this. Employers and schools sometimes want proof of what you have achieved in an online course; a Verified Certificate of Achievement provides that proof.

https://www.edx.org/verified-certificate#pricing

I will simply add that HTML/CSS are not programming languages. HTML = markup language, and CSS is simply for styling.

However, I will add that I recommend everyone learn Javascript from codecademy. Ditch jQuery, and stick with Native JS, and you will surely find a job. I get paid very well, and I say that learning (native) Javascript was the best thing I ever did for my career.

Good advice Chief. Even if you're going to use jQuery in your career, don't be a lazy bum, learn javascript. I know very little about javascript, but I can write a whole bunch in jQuery... but that's because I did Bcom/LLB at university :P

Here, computer science pretty much excludes web development entirely. Its more python, C#, etc.

Thanks for the sites, Marked. I'm using Codecademy right now, recommended to me by a friend of mine who's a great coder, and it's doing fine for me. Very good lessons, easy to learn.

I might check out edX, as well!

I will simply add that HTML/CSS are not programming languages. HTML = markup language, and CSS is simply for styling.

However, I will add that I recommend everyone learn Javascript from codecademy. Ditch jQuery, and stick with Native JS, and you will surely find a job. I get paid very well, and I say that learning (native) Javascript was the best thing I ever did for my career.

Well that is what the ml in HTML stands for, but I get what you mean. Also thanks for the advice on that, that information will come in handy someday when I actually want to do web development. However, for now I'm just doing Python, ruby, and C++/C#.

Good advice Chief. Even if you're going to use jQuery in your career, don't be a lazy bum, learn javascript. I know very little about javascript, but I can write a whole bunch in jQuery... but that's because I did Bcom/LLB at university :P

Here, computer science pretty much excludes web development entirely. Its more python, C#, etc.

Well actually anywhere would split the two, I don't think it would just be excluded to you guys. However since the sites also offer web development, I added them to the list. But ya, there two different things. Computer Science deals with software, robotics, and other mathematical developments; while Web Development is pretty much self-explanatory: Ajax, Rails, Javascript, jquery, HTML, and CSS.

I guess I should change the title a bit.

Thanks for the sites, Marked. I'm using Codecademy right now, recommended to me by a friend of mine who's a great coder, and it's doing fine for me. Very good lessons, easy to learn.

I might check out edX, as well!

Marked did what? uh