New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
#ku

I don't like the new design

Site Design  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are the changes better

• Yes
    • No
    • About the same

No offense, but I prefer the old one. I get the feeling that the other members agree but they are too scared to say so. There's no doubt its cleaner and there's some nice new features, but its just a bit too.... pastel, you know? Not enough contrast.

Well as Polraudio said, it's Bland and Grey. Which is not my kind of taste in design.

However it's a bit more user friendly. Now i don't need to scroll all the way up to global search something or to get to the games section. 

Cheers to that!

Also take a good look at the site it may surprise you.  ;)

Whoops! I wanted to vote "yes" ! Is there anyway to change it? :oops:

Well it doesn't really matter. I LIKE THE NEW DESIGN!!!

I wouldnt have any complaints about any form of style as long as the functionality is there.

To be honest, I have a lot of technical problems with this site.  Nothing goes where it is supposed to go.  The top level stuff (Home, Forums, Games) comes up on mine as unformatted.  I know this is due to adblocking stuff that I've done.  However, its an ugly trend where so many external site dependancies are creating unnecessary problems.  JQuery, Ajax, Google plugins.  These things all need to be mirrored on the native domain or CDN.  If I were forced to choose between blocking Google ads or having a fully function GD site, I'll continue with blocking Google ads on EVERY site as GD is so inactive.

Off Topic: Thread Closing

I think there is an excessive level of thread closures that are driving people away that are genuinely looking for support.  Many people have the same questions, and leave once told to "go start a new thread" once they've posted.  I know omar is trying to be a good moderator, but the results of his actions are having the opposite effect of being good.  I dont come here very much because of low levels of inactivity, but if someone requests support, it may take me a couple of days to read the material then respond.  If we were a much more active community, I'd have less of an issue with locking old threads, but with this level of inactivity, everything to bring in more members needs to be done.  A simple post "next time, please start a new thread" or do something that shows respect for the new members instead of making them feel unwelcome by extremely strict enforcing of site rules.  If a person went to a "suit and tie event" and was kicked out for wearing an "inappopriate tie" and saw that they were the only person there, would that person return?

The new stuff it kind of laggy, but it seems alright. Can I suggest an old game engine support area like Adventure Game Studio or other old retro engines?

Edited by kaboth

@heretic

About the Thread closing discussion. Mark and the whole team were asked to not close topics for a reason. However it doesn't mean that you have to say that we moderators enforce the rules about an extremely outdated topic.

I had PMs of other users forgiving for "their" ignorance of not knowing the rules. As a Moderator I do not blame them and I often tell them about making a new topic about it. But most people are just lazy to make a new topic anyways.

As a moderator I enforce the rules to keep the community clean and open. It is my responsibility after all.

This ends the discussion about the closing of topics. Any more complaints about topic closure please create a topic about it.

Thank you Heretic :)

Many people have the same questions, and leave once told to "go start a new thread" once they've posted.

Any more complaints about topic closure please create a topic about it.

I think we ought to address the issue here and now, finally. This site does need to adjust based on the level of activity, as Heretic said. Omar is new and its really hard to bring together a group of staff who are always active. One staff member's mistakes, if repeated, is the responsibility of those above him such as admins.

Heretic, the wise person we know him to be, is correct. I agree with the post entirely, it really is just sensible.

level of thread closures that are driving people away that are genuinely looking for support.
with this level of inactivity, everything to bring in more members needs to be done.  A simple post "next time, please start a new thread" or do something that shows respect for the new members instead of making them feel unwelcome by extremely strict enforcing of site rules.

There seems to be some confusion over what the  "rules" are. It even confuses me when people bring up the rules, because I know there are none written down. You certainly cannot say a member is ignorant of non-existent rules.

I had PMs of other users forgiving for "their" ignorance of not knowing the rules. As a Moderator I do not blame them and I often tell them about making a new topic about it. But most people are just lazy to make a new topic anyways.

As a moderator I enforce the rules to keep the community clean and open. It is my responsibility after all.

So the rules of closing topics, is not really a rule, its not a historic trend and its not suited to our level of activity. So from now on I would all mods to only close where there is a flame war or spam. I really don't care about necro posting. I also don't care about going ever so slightly off topic (eg, this current discussion in this topic), because it really is stopping posts and just doesn't make sense. This is efficient. Of course is a topic went way way off in a tangent, then fine, close it. In all cases its up to your judgement, but in this community we need to be a lot more relaxed in applying "traditional" forum rules.

However, its an ugly trend where so many external site dependancies are creating unnecessary problems.  JQuery, Ajax, Google plugins.  These things all need to be mirrored on the native domain or CDN.

A CDN is an external dependency, unless its on like a subdomain. The amazon CDN is hugely popular given how cheap it is. I see your point. It's a trend that is growing hugely but in my opinion its a great thing, but only if you have a fallback for people like yourself, and I think a lot of sites do not. I completely overlooked that. I will definitely look into this for you. Could you let me know what software you use to block the google stuff so I can test it out myself?

I found a bug, I'm not sure if it's only my problem or not. When I go to homepage and click on a post in "latest Content" I get error 404 which says "Page Not Found". Any ideaz?

A CDN is an external dependency, unless its on like a subdomain. The amazon CDN is hugely popular given how cheap it is. I see your point. It's a trend that is growing hugely but in my opinion its a great thing, but only if you have a fallback for people like yourself, and I think a lot of sites do not. I completely overlooked that. I will definitely look into this for you. Could you let me know what software you use to block the google stuff so I can test it out myself?

@Marked

I have a couple of different sources for Ad Blocking, so recreating my enviornment on another system is quite difficult.  There are custom HOSTS files (blocks a lot of malware sites), Ad Blocking DNS, Firewall IP Pool blocks, and some other stuff.  Many probably wont believe me but I do not like AdBlock Plus plugin for Firefox because it takes control of too many tracking methods and authorizes far more than should be allowed.

Best bet would be to get RequestPolicy plugin for Firefox.  I use RequestPolicy because I create and modify both Ad Blocking DNS records and HOSTS files for trackers and advertisers.  As a standalone plugin, it should enable all the "weird stuff" I get (brought on by my own doing) to be recreated on your system and check.  I set my RequestPolicy plugin to allow all requests fom GD to the CDN.

Only other thing I can think of would be NoScript.  Ive blocked a lot of Google scripts in an effort to keep extra unwanted crap out, but at the expense of some functionality across the net.  Could be a possible source of issues for the Big advertisers being blocked, like both Amazon and Google.  No arguments about Amazon being cheap tho.

I do appreciate the effort to help me get the site working as it is intended to be displayed, but I dont want you to feel burdened with my requests.  The complexity of websites is increasing, as is dependancy on ways that allow everything that ruins the web: namely excessive advertisements and tracking.  Basically, in order to get Google functionality, it also opens the door for both Google ads and tracking.  Most adblocking only goes after "the little guy", but makes special permissions for ONLY Google and other web giant Ads?  Google can piss up a rope for all I care.

Site feedback:  I cant give a true opinion on style, layout and functionality due to tech issues.

---

Closing threads:  Thank you for the reply. 

I know Omar is trying to be a good mod, but I just think that the ways that things are applied end up having the opposite effect of what is intended.  As a community, we can be helpful to newcomers and vets alike.  "That question was already answered in this thread" and link, or "this is off topic enough that it might get better responses as a new thread" but try to offer help anyway.  Catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Nuff said on the subject tho.

---

Update:  Site now appears to work properly again.  I'll test it out and see how I like the style.

Thanks

Edited by Heretic86

im all for the changes, these were things that i know marked really wanted to implement and they look nice.

i'm also for the clean design, for a personal page its not good, but for forums you generally look for practicality over clutter and it works well

I prefer this newer design from the last, even though the last was still really good, this one just takes my fancy. It's more crisp, better tones and feels like the entire design flows well together.

Oh :huh2: When I made the announcement of the revamped design, layouts and other improvements I thought they were a flop coz no one really replied to the topic, so I got all paranoid and had plans to DDOS the site in protest. I was planning a redesign with a mix of the original GDU design, the design before that and the current design. Maybe I'll do a few tweaks. The original GDU design wasn't bad

gdu-02.jpggdu-03.jpg

But I really ought to focus on the games section stuff that I've been wanting to do. It's pretty crappy! I've been thinking to myself, how can I make this more customizable? I have to attempt to seek a balance between customization-ability and simplicity. Coz I could make it into a full fledged CMS. Which wouldn't be the worst idea, actually.