New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Catherine

NPC takes one step, then halts completely.

Exactly what the title says. In my Autorun process, the player can move about wherever he needs to, but when the NPC starts to move, it takes only one step before stopping. No matter how I change the positions around and have it start from another coordinate on the map, the event can't move properly. It just takes one step and then stops.

I've set up the correct passibility for every tile, including in the four directions, and I just can't understand what's going on. The player, when there are no autoruns or parallel processes running, can move over the spots the NPC steps on just fine. But the NPC just can't seem to move right.

I have no other autoruns or processes interfering with the one running, so I can't understand what's going on. I can post screenshots if necessary, although I don't think it should be.

Can anyone help me?

Have you check the 2nd and 3rd layer?

There's posibly some transparent unpassable tiles hiding on there :)

As far as I know, there is some issue on xp with npc/events that when you set the their custom route, they can't move to a tile with events on top of it, regardles the event is passable or not, although the player can move through there.

Or it just some issue that can be solved with "wait for move completion" command :v

2 Screenshots please, the map and the npc event pages if the problem hasn't solved yet :v

Edited by black mage

Have you check the 2nd and 3rd layer?

There's posibly some transparent unpassable tiles hiding on there :)

As far as I know, there is some issue on xp with npc/events that when you set the their custom route, they can't move to a tile with events on top of it, regardles the event is passable or not, although the player can move through there.

Or it just some issue that can be solved with "wait for move completion" command :v

2 Screenshots please, the map and the npc event pages if the problem hasn't solved yet :v

Hey there, Black Mage. As far as I'm concerned, there are only chairs on the second layer, and those I've set for the top of those to be possible to the left and right direction. So both the player and NPC should be able to walk through there; the player has proven able.

There are no events on top of that tile, although there's one behind where the NPC starts out. But it has to be facing and touching that event to activate it, so I don't think that's a problem.

I've also tried the "Wait for Move Completion" command, but to no avail.

I've one-upped that and posted three screenshots.

This is the map I've set up. post-26428-0-91649900-1396804110_thumb.png

This page shows the NPC in question--it needs two switches to activate it. post-26428-0-86878400-1396804111_thumb.png

This is the autorun event I have running that activates the second switch for the NPC to appear. post-26428-0-63856000-1396804109_thumb.png

I've set up both switches for the NPC to appear--the first being when the player finds an item (the name being "Found Watch). The autorun in "Event1 (Autorun)" will be activated automatically when he returns to the map. That same autorun sets off the other switch "Korea Enters", which then makes the NPC appear. It works up to that point--and when the NPC begins to move, it stops.

Funny thing is, when the autorun finishes and starts over again (I forgot to add a control self-switch that time), the NPC was reset back to the event location and able to complete the move route. Weirdly enough.

Put "Wait" 1 frame after you turn on the "Korea Enters" switch. This should solve your problem.

Edited by black mage

Put wait after you turn on the "Korea Enters" switch. This should solve your problem.

Hey, that worked out! Thanks.

Actually, in the meantime, I found another way to fix the problem. I abandoned the switch, just left the character graphic blank, and changed the graphic to the correct one (in the same move route) when I changed the location of the event.

Can you tell me what was going on with the system that required a wait command? Just so I can avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks for the help! 

How should I explain this...

When you use the switch to show the event, the event itself are not existed before the switch are turned on. When the switch are turned on, the event are generated, it existed visualy and existed on some part of the system and at the same time, some part of the system are still not updated, and thinking that the event is still not existed. thus this created some conflict in the system itself, some of the part are thinking that it exist already thus make it walk by a few tiles, but some of the part corrected them into thinking that the event are not existed yet, thus stop the process for that event.

When the event finished, before it starting to loop, the all the system are updated and since the switch are already on and the event are existed in the updated system, the event work correctly, that's why when the event run the second time, it works fine.

That's why when you using the event with invisible graphics, the commands are working correctly because the event in question is already existed but with the invisible graphic. While the previous one don't.

The command "wait" 1 frame are command for giving the system "time" to do the updating before doing the next command, thus erasing the conflict.

A mere Trivia : There was a problem similar like this when people was using RM2K and RM2K3.

This is just a mere deduction, by me reffering to some cases ages ago, and forgive me for my bad English :)

Edited by black mage

How should I explain this...

When you use the switch to show the event, the event itself are not existed before the switch are turned on. When the switch are turned on, the event are generated, it existed visualy and existed on some part of the system and at the same time, some part of the system are still not updated, and thinking that the event is still not existed. thus this created some conflict in the system itself, some of the part are thinking that it exist already thus make it walk by a few tiles, but some of the part corrected them into thinking that the event are not existed yet, thus stop the process for that event.

When the event finished, before it starting to loop, the all the system are updated and since the switch are already on and the event are existed in the updated system, the event work correctly, that's why when the event run the second time, it works fine.

That's why when you using the event with invisible graphics, the commands are working correctly because the event in question is already existed but with the invisible graphic. While the previous one don't.

The command "wait" 1 frame are command for giving the system "time" to do the updating before doing the next command, thus erasing the conflict.

A mere Trivia : There was a problem similar like this when people was using RM2K and RM2K3.

This is just a mere deduction, by me reffering to some cases ages ago, and forgive me for my bad English :)

Thanks, Black Mage! That actually clears up a lot. I understand--so it's a conflict in the system. It needs time for the engine to be able to confirm the event's existence--otherwise the system will fool itself into thinking the event isn't there and is actually a glitch of some sort and try to debug the game by erasing it? That makes a lot of sense. Again, thanks! I'll be careful when dealing with this sort of thing again.

Strangely, I had built an autorun of the exact same make, with a similar switch activating events, a few years ago. It didn't seem to have any problems at the time. But nevertheless, problem solved! You've been a great help, Mage.

If this thread needs to be closed, then any mod who feels so can do so. :D