New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Saltome

[RMXP] Battle Tournament 2

Battle Tournament 2

Genre

Turn based fighter sim.

Latest release

Jan,07,2014

Team

Lost Legends

Description:
A simple, turn based game. Where you are put in the role of a character completely of your making. The goal is to amass as much money and power by training your abilities and using them as a fuel to further your everblazing ambitions.

Change log:

May, 27, 2014:

- Added a finishing goal, to be the last character surviving.

- Added a hunger, now the characters have to buy food to prolong their existence.

- Changed the "Fight for money" option to conduct a competition of power, between all participating characters, when determining who wins and how much money each victory grants.

- Save games from the older versions are incompatible.

- Added counters, for your championship titles, wins, defeats and total win percentage.

- Added color coded bars. The red bar is bad, it shows how close you are to starving. The green bar is good, it shows how close you are to being able to afford the equipment upgrade. The gray bar is simply an indicator, it represents the value to the right side of the delimiter point.

- Added a database of names, it provides names for the other characters, and suggests a default name during the character creation. (There is no feature to edit the database, but strictly speaking it's possible.  There are built in methods, for splitting strings of names separated by a comma into individual lines, for removing duplicate names from the database, and obviously one for adding names to the database.) If you add a long list of names, make sure to run the DupeCleaner function at least once.

- Added sprites to the AI characters as well.

Jan, 07, 2014:

- Notice, the save files in this version are not compatible with the previous one.(As if anyone has played this game.)

- A minor technical correction, featuring the ability to hold the input key. This allows you to quickly and fluently pass a large amount of turns, taking the same action, without the consistent button mashing.
- A new area was added, the pub. Which serves as a place to catch up on your opponents' progress, at the expense of a single precious turn.
- Lastly this version introduces a fully functional AI which can take all the actions that the player can. Having no other purpose than to offer a mediocre competition to the player, it's action selection is based on randomly generated numbers, which makes it an average but balanced opponent.

Dec, 13, 2013:
- In true rpg fashion this release features a basic character creation screen, allowing you to select a name and a sprite for your character. (You can add your own sprites to the selection by placing files with a .png file extension in the "Graphics\Characters\" folder.)
- Made some improvements to the character details window, featuring the name and sprite, also now there is a bar showing how close you are to the next full point of Power.(You can customize the bar by replacing the Bar graphics in the "Graphics\" folder.)

Downloads:
Mediafire Link

Screenshots:
Character Creation:
bt2-character-creation-23914.PNG
Ingame:
341bt2-ingame-23914.PNG

Edited by Saltome

If I may, perhaps this project's lack of popularity has something to do with the fact that it's not quite clear what you actually get to do with it in the first place (to me at least). I'm just saying because we have had a long discussion about a similar concept and yet I'm not quite sure what this is all about. As soon as I get some free time to try it out (been pretty busy lately as you already know) I shall give you some feedback, and possibly suggestions for a catchier introduction.

... would have been nice if I didn't forget to update the download before posting about the new version.

If you think of something better I would appreciate it.

On the other hand the fact remains that there just isn't much to do in the game at this point.

Ever played Monster Rancher? Essentially that's the point.

Edited by Saltome

*bump* Here comes a new release. Check the first post for changes and download.

Um, I understand why I said I didn't see the point of that game from your introduction - after playing it for a few minutes, I still don't see the point. I can see how you have tried to make a mechanic with power which feeds money which feeds equipment which in turn feeds power again. The thing is, what for? You don't get anyone to fight against, you have no deadlines, no objective whatsoever. You cannot even lose anything - save for money which you can trade for something else so it's not really losing - so there's no pressure, you could as well play completely randomly. This game is a grinder's ultimate dream - a game where you only get to grind forever since there's nothing else to do, with no risk of being too greedy or too bold since there's no kind of limitation. Just click again and again and see the numbers skyrocket. So, since I think grinding makes for poor gameplay in the first place, there's hardly anything positive I've got to say about this.

Well, we have made a new public release, adressing the concerns expressed by some of our... fans.

Edited by Saltome